Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Garage
Quick question about door speakers

For those of you who have replaced the door speakers with newer ones, will the existing wires plug right into the new speakers, or do I need a new speaker wiring harness?

Kind of hoping to get all the materials I need before taking the door panel off this Saturday.

Thanks,

Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Garage
when i changed my door speakers I took off the wire clips off the factory speaker and it fit my jl audio ones. not sure which speakers you're using but sometimes the terminals could be different.
markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

Garage
Yes, the connectors will be different. there is usually a skinny one (-) and a thicker one (+) that you will want to get the correct ends for. take a look at the replacement speakers for correct sizes. I would cut the connector off, leave it with the stock speaker, and crimp on the new connectors.

Running new wire is certainly a pain in the butt, but depending on the quality of speakers and if you are doing a new head unit, would be well worth your time...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Usercpy

Garage
Any recommendations of speaker's will fit: brand and size? without modification.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Any recommendations of speaker's will fit: brand and size? without modification.
I found the following post and ordered these speakers, but haven't yet torn into the doors to make sure they work. I sure hope so.
You can search for this post to see other comments posted afterwards.

Found 6.5 speakers that fit door without mods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to let you guys know I found out that the Pioneer TS-A1675R coaxial speakers will fit the OEM door bezel that houses the door speakers. I'm not sure if this is common in 6.5 speakers or not, but these speakers have 5.25 sized mounting holes drilled in the ring in addition to the 6.5 mounts. I put them in (I have an alpine amp with no crossover driving them) and it was a very big improvement. I did not have to make a new mounting bezel or modify my existing bezel at all. The speakers were on sale at best buy for $59 for the pair but can be found online for $40 for the set. It's crazy how so little cost can be involved with a big improvement
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

I recently installed the following, all of which went in with no modifications, and with which I am completely satisfied:
1. Kenwood KDC-X797 single-DIN head unit, w/bluetooth, Sirrius XM, USB
2. Alpine MRV-F300 50 watt 4-channel amplifier (in frunk)
3. Alpine SPR-50 5-1/4” 2-way speakers in the doors
4. Alpine SPR-410 4-1/2” speakers in the dash
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Garage
Dave - Thanks for posting. Can you advise what year your Box was, if it had the original Porsche system before you made the change, and if you needed to run new wire?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks to all that replied.
I just replaced the door speakers today with the ones listed in a post on this forum, which listed the Pioneer TS-A1675R coaxial speakers that would fit with no mods at all.
I found this to be absolutely correct!
They mounted right up and the wiring connection was the same as the OEM speakers I replaced.
I would estimate around a 25% improvement.
I had already replaced the OEM unit with a Pioneer unit.
So now I'm all set.