Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

UK Boxster price query

Hi folks, my first posting here as I'm possibly buying my first Porsche next week. A bit of a contrast as my current love of the last six years has been a 1988 Citroen 2cv6 (2 cylinders of throbbing air-cooled 602cc power!).

I live in the UK and what I'm looking at is a 2000 (X registration plate) Boxster 2.7 manual (no TipTronic) with just under 102000 miles on the clock and a full service history. The car appears to be in very good condition in all respects. It's recently had new rear tyres, new MAF, O2 sensors and an AOS. Also new discs (US=rotors) and pads all round.

As a private sale what should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Last edited by Obertelli; 02-11-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Found out myself what the AOS is...
Obertelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obertelli View Post
Hi folks, my first posting here as I'm possibly buying my first Porsche next week. A bit of a contrast as my current love of the last six years has been a 1988 Citroen 2cv6 (2 cylinders of throbbing air-cooled 602cc power!).

I live in the UK and what I'm looking at is a 2000 (X registration plate) Boxster 2.7 manual (no TipTronic) with just under 102000 miles on the clock and a full service history. The car appears to be in very good condition in all respects. It's recently had new rear tyres, new MAF, O2 sensors and an AOS. Also new discs (US=rotors) and pads all round.

As a private sale what should I expect to pay?

Thanks.
Hi Obertelli,
I've just joined the forum & Porsche ownership myself

I usually base my decision on Autotrader values as you can get a good guide price from there by specifying private sales in the local area, other than that try parkers.co.uk to give you a guide price.

Cheers

Dan
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Good idea! Thanks Dan, I've now got a better idea but if anyone else wants to chip in with suggestions please feel free.

As a result of your advice I'm now aware of the large number of options on the vehicle; the car is a three hour drive from home but by chance happens to be about a mile up the road from where my dad lives so he's going to take an initial look and test-drive on Wednesday 12th Feb. If it's encouraging I'll have a look this weekend and as well as all the in-depth checks will have to find out exactly which options are present, but so far it seems remarkably cheap even if it turns out to be an über basic spec.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Try boxa.net
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #5

Garage
You should also look on Piston Heads. Auto trader is ok but its a more generic market place where as Piston Heads is for peaople looking for something special.
Prices will vary quite alot.
Some are higher becuase they have lower miles, faultless history and a host of extras whilst others are priced for a quick sale.

If i didn't see a fully stamped book, a bundle of receiepts and MOT's and all three keys i'd walk away. That kind of provenence can add 1k to the price alone.

It really is that much of a crap shoot.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #6

In the USofA, that sounds like a 12-14k$ car. Actually a little closer to 10/11k$ for a private sale.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

If you have cash in hand for a private sale, I would make an offer of 11,000 and pay no more than 13,000. Cheers
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Just checked Parkers prices and they say private sale good condition £3,895. Older cars are harder to value as condition and history are more important. I've just paid £4,450 for a 2001 S with 100k but good history. The car is great and apart from a few minor jobs is running well. Just changed the oil and the filter was nice and clean.
BAZ8046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZ8046 View Post
Just checked Parkers prices and they say private sale good condition £3,895. Older cars are harder to value as condition and history are more important. I've just paid £4,450 for a 2001 S with 100k but good history. The car is great and apart from a few minor jobs is running well. Just changed the oil and the filter was nice and clean.
Thanks BAZ, that's really helpful. Thanks to other contributors as well.

My dad previewed it for me today and described it as being almost in showroom condition. There's a fully stamped and extensively documented service history. The plastic rear window is reported to be perfect and crystal clear, although if I buy it I'll probably replace the roof with a glass window version and try to get some cash back by reselling the original roof. It was "purring" at 90mph along wet Oxfordshire country lanes (as driven by the elderly owner!) with no rattles or untoward sounds and the only downer was a lack of aircon, but that's also one less thing to go wrong as the car gets older and improves the fuel economy a bit.

Seller is asking for £4250 ono, so I'll try and squeeze it down to a bit under £4k. It seems that we pay rather less for them on our side of the pond!

I hope to see it myself this weekend (floods and falling trees permitting...) and am currently waiting for the seller to reply to a few detailed question regarding the last exhaust and clutch replacements and whether the IMS bearing has ever been replaced/upgraded.

The only slight concern I have is that he's fitted a short-shifter to remove the "slight sloppiness that all 100k Boxsters have", but my experience of other cars using similar cable-operated gear changes is that they need replacement or adjustment.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

It's worth the asking if it's as good as you say.

£4k would be my take on the value in a generic sense. But if it's genuinely a brilliant example, it's worth the extra £250.