Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

Garage
Quick question about rear differential

What is the standard differential on my 2004S? Is it just simply an open differential? From what I've read you can purchase an aftermarket LSD or PSE or whatever was a factory option that worked kinda like LSD but used computer controlled braking to even slippage. Is that all accurate?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
What is the standard differential on my 2004S? Is it just simply an open differential? From what I've read you can purchase an aftermarket LSD or PSE or whatever was a factory option that worked kinda like LSD but used computer controlled braking to even slippage. Is that all accurate?
No. The factory diff is an open unit. 2004 cars did not come with traction control, but with stability management (PSM), which is not traction control. PSM kicks in when the car's yaw angle exceeds certain preset limits and brings the car back into a controlled line. When standing still, or moving slowly, there is no measurable yaw angle, so the PSM would remain dormant.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No. The factory diff is an open unit. 2004 cars did not come with traction control, but with stability management (PSM), which is not traction control. PSM kicks in when the car's yaw angle exceeds certain preset limits and brings the car back into a controlled line. When standing still, or moving slowly, there is no measurable yaw angle, so the PSM would remain dormant.
How does the 99 handle this? Mine has traction control and limited slip differential?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
How does the 99 handle this? Mine has traction control and limited slip differential?
Your 99 probably does have traction control, which preceded PSM; but I do not know about the limited slip as I do not believe that was even an option back then.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

Garage
I do not think Boxsters started coming equipped with an LSD til maybe 2007 I could be wrong. If I was a betting man you have an open diff on the bad boy. My 2001 is open diff, no trac control and no PSM... its just me and the road. sometimes i feel like its me and the road and almost the ditch.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote