Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

OMERGAWDWTFBBQ??? Another code??

P0456, some vaporizing system has a "very small leak" and feels justified in sticking me with a CEL, days after semi-major surgery. Some cars, you just can't please.

Any places to start? I have a new gas cap, but saw in searches this can be anywhere along the gas tank evap or vent system?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
P0456, some vaporizing system has a "very small leak" and feels justified in sticking me with a CEL, days after semi-major surgery. Some cars, you just can't please.

Any places to start? I have a new gas cap, but saw in searches this can be anywhere along the gas tank evap or vent system?
P0456 is usually in the EVAP system components.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

I'd like to know where/when you heard WTFBBQ

The engineering kids I worked with at Cal Poly Pomona used it on a flyer for a party back in 2008 or so. Just curious where you heard it first
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I'd like to know where/when you heard WTFBBQ

The engineering kids I worked with at Cal Poly Pomona used it on a flyer for a party back in 2008 or so. Just curious where you heard it first
I joined a firearms website and got involved in their GD section in 2008, and man do they throw out the memes and acronyms like that.

It's the trash can of the internet, but with rules.

AR15.com
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

One of the best ways, actually about the only way unless you just want to replace parts until you are blue in the face is a smoke machine.

This tool is not cheap but well worth it if you are a tech.

otherwise I would start with the solenoids for the evap system, they sometimes stick open and checking that none of the vacuum hoses broke and fell off

Last edited by healthservices; 02-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:

Start at the scene of the surgery and any lines or components that may have been inadvertently disturbed. What could have been bumped into, pried on, or otherwise folded, spindled or mutilated during the surgery?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Start at the scene of the surgery and any lines or components that may have been inadvertently disturbed. What could have been bumped into, pried on, or otherwise folded, spindled or mutilated during the surgery?
It was water pump and low temp stat, and coolant flush. Not much to disturb down there.

I did read about a smoke machine. If I can slightly pressurize the system I do have a combustible gas detector / sniffer.

May be time to search for and buy a Durametric.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
It was water pump and low temp stat, and coolant flush. Not much to disturb down there.

I did read about a smoke machine. If I can slightly pressurize the system I do have a combustible gas detector / sniffer.

May be time to search for and buy a Durametric.
The only thing even remotely close is the vac line running down the firewall on the left side. It should be pretty robust, but if it were bumped into it might disconnect. you can look right at it with the left rear wheel off. it is just above the plastic under car close out panel on the firewall. Unlikely, but that's all I got.