Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
2003 Boxster S Aero/Sport

My new old 2003 Boxster S

My first Porsche. 2003 Boxster S w/84K on it. Bought from an individual with all the service records for the last 5 years (rigorously maintained). Before that was a CPO in 2008, which I assume would mean it was in pretty good shape then.

Had a PPI... needed a few things, but overall got the greenlight.

Anybody have any tips for a newbie?

PS - The previous owner put the LEDs in the front grill to "modernize it". What's your opinion?

Last edited by mistergreen; 02-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

IMS?

Drive it!!! Great looking car!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Garage
considered doing the led myself, looks good, do you like them?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Whoa, beautiful car. So I'll be the first one to ring the IMS bearing alarm bell. I just performed a full engine rebuild on my 03 S due to that bearing failing at 120K. Lower mileage / older age bearings tend to fail first. Look for my posts in the DIY section for details. It is analogous to a timing belt that needs maintenance. Porsche won't tell you that, but this forum will. Get it replaced. LN engineering (I have no affiliation with them) has what appears to be very high quality solution$. Others exist. Pelican parts has a replacement for it but I don't like their bearing. Nachi makes a superior bearing IMHO that can replace the Pelican Parts bearing, but due to inherent engine design that is only a stopgap. If I were not doing it myself, and cost was no object, I'd have the IMS solution installed, Second, I'd go with the Gen 2 IMS Ceramic bearing, after that I'd source my own silicon ceramic steel cage open 6204 bearing and have that installed, though LN engineering can supply a high quality kit for that. A failed IMS bearing takes the engine with it, a$20K problem. I would not stick with the original bearing any more than I would stick with an aging / failing timing belt.

+1 on drive it and enjoy it!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Have exactly the same here and I enjoy it!
I have replaced the IMS bearing with the LN one so I sleep better.
The LED's looks good to me, could you post a front view ?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Garage
welcome to the forum, you will hear alot about ims bearings, but if you like to gamble, dont bother, high revs are healthy for the bearings and good often changed highish weight mobile 1 oil.. during oil changes check your filter for metal shavings, if you see any shavings stop driving immediately and replace the bearing, until then, just be precautions. Beauitiful car, drive it like you stole it, (for the bearings sake ) im at 105k original bearing, many others have many more miles on their cars, try not to worry too much over it. Enjoy your S.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Jamesp are you sure that Boxster have timing belt? Is it not rather a timing chain?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Very nice looking Boxster. IMHO, I would remove the LEDs. They don't belong on a 986.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
Jamesp are you sure that Boxster have timing belt? Is it not rather a timing chain?
I wish I were multilingual, but alas, my talents fall far short of that. So my hat is off to you for communicating in two languages. My post said, "It is analogous to a timing belt... " Analogous means parallel or similar to, but not the same. The point to be made is that if a timing belt fails, notoriously on older Honda engines, the valves and pistons may clash resulting in severe engine damage. The IMS bearing is similar to this in that if it fails, the same thing happens, and much like the Honda timing belts, the manufacture does not recommend replacement, Though in Honda's defense, they eventually did.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
And my personal opinion? I like old school updated to today's standards. I'm goin all LED, new headlights. Likely tablet in the dash, figure out where the subwoofer /amp /extra speakers go etc.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I wish I were multilingual, but alas, my talents fall far short of that. So my hat is off to you for communicating in two languages. My post said, "It is analogous to a timing belt... " Analogous means parallel or similar to, but not the same. The point to be made is that if a timing belt fails, notoriously on older Honda engines, the valves and pistons may clash resulting in severe engine damage. The IMS bearing is similar to this in that if it fails, the same thing happens, and much like the Honda timing belts, the manufacture does not recommend replacement, Though in Honda's defense, they eventually did.

Oki Doki!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #12

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, she's a beauty. Not sure what to do about the possible IMS failure. Might roll the dice for a while, and yes drive it like I stole it. First purchase - radar detector!

I am thinking the LEDs will go. Too "kitschy".

I'm taking this baby in to my mechanic on Monday for some of the issues that need taking care of, notably a front strut replacement.

I'll post more pics soon.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #13

Garage
Have fun, and if your mechanic isn't a Porsche tech you may want to find one.. Should be fine for smaller things but ours 986s are very unique cars and require unique attention. (Or search the forum and DIY)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
And my personal opinion? I like old school updated to today's standards. I'm goin all LED, new headlights. Likely tablet in the dash, figure out where the subwoofer /amp /extra speakers go etc.

Oki Doki!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Boxster S Bassist

Lose the ghetto LED's!
John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #16

The mechanic is one of the top Porsche garages in Houston. Very well respected. They have only become "my mechanic" since last week when I purchased the ride! I'll dip my toe into DIY as time goes on. Actually, my first DIY will be to replace the shocks on the front trunk! Easy peazy.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #17

Nice looking car congrats ! You might want to look into your local PCA to see when they have events coming up. Great place to meet others that have the same passion and a great place for info. Find out where others are having their cars serviced/maintained it never hurts to have two or more options to go to. My opinion lose the LED's. Have fun
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #18

Beautiful car. You have lotsa goodies, Carrera Lights wheels, clear front indicators, Aerokit II side skirts . Lose the LED's though. Mine looked exactly like that (minus the side skirts) when I bought it 5 years ago. What other options do you have?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #19

LEDs are leaving tomorrow.

Since I've only been a Porsche owner for 3 days, I don't think I fully know what options I have. It is apparently the "Sport" version with the Aero package. Bose sound (I am looking at upgrading there), but as far as I know, everything else is stock.

The young guy who owned it before thought the LEDs were fly :-)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
LEDs are leaving tomorrow.

Since I've only been a Porsche owner for 3 days, I don't think I fully know what options I have. It is apparently the "Sport" version with the Aero package. Bose sound (I am looking at upgrading there), but as far as I know, everything else is stock.

The young guy who owned it before thought the LEDs were fly :-)
I think if you had the Aero package, you would have the wing on the back and the GT3 front bumper. Take a pic of the options code list on the underside of your front hood.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote