Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Trick to open rear trunk?

Opened fine. Closed it. Went to open it. Makes release sound but stays latched. Will not pop up or open.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
So, I eventually got the trunk open by wedging something small between the seal and the lid for visibility. I then used a slim 10mm wrench to open the 2 10mm bolts that were constraining the hook half of the lock onto the trunk lid. It was extremely simple as the bolts came loose really fast.

The cables were fine and not popped nor wrecked! The little C-clip that held both cables onto the lock shaft was missing. Therefore, both cables had slid off.

PLEASE DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR CAR BECAUSE IT'S NOT NECESSARY.

I FOUND THE ALTERNATIVE BY SEARCHING AND FINDING SOMEONE ELSE WHO DID THIS AS I DESCRIBED.
Found this. Where is he prying?

Where do I drill that hole??
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #3

emergency trunk release

a trunk release should be under the left bumperette remove find wire and pull. If you cant find it take the bumper off....no drilling! replace actuator, 72 dollars ?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

(First make sure it is not frozen shut with melted and re-frozen snow.)
Next, try pressing down on the rear edge of the trunk as you simultaneously press the release key/button.
Then, if no results, go searching for the cable.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
(First make sure it is not frozen shut with melted and re-frozen snow.)
Next, try pressing down on the rear edge of the trunk as you simultaneously press the release key/button.
Then, if no results, go searching for the cable.
BOL
It lives in my shop or garage. No snow and never ice.

I'll try all this later. Stuff in there I need! (Range ammo, thermal imager for work)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
I think you can open your rear trunk by removing the left rear bumper and fishing out the secondary opening cable. The cable exits the trunk just under the left tail light. Here are some pictures.

inside the left side of the trunk - cable exit

About where it is from the outside of the trunk

So it looks like you could take off the left bumper off, and fish for the manual cable with some 12 gauge copper wire and pop the trunk. I could not see the cable using a flashlight with the left bumper off.

Last edited by Jamesp; 02-01-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add detail
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I think you can open your rear trunk by removing the left rear bumper and fishing out the secondary opening cable. The cable exits the trunk just under the left tail light. Here are some pictures.

inside the left side of the trunk - cable exit

About where it is from the outside of the trunk

So it looks like you could take off the left bumper off, and fish for the manual cable with some 12 gauge copper wire and pop the trunk. I could not see the cable using a flashlight with the left bumper off.

Sweet!!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Ok. Let's get started.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Full color image of inside pumper. Looked at entire area. Cable must be behind bumper but no way up or over.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
I am my own mechanic....

So I found this after pulling the tire off.

Pulled very easy. First positive thing PO did besides care for it!

Bottom cable totally broke. Top cable 1 strand.

What's the fix? Entire new cable??
Old 02-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #11

If you do remove the bumper to replace the cable, I'd suggest relocating the cable to behind the bumperette. I had this done when I had the bumper replaced after a minor ding. It's very easy now to access.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
If you do remove the bumper to replace the cable, I'd suggest relocating the cable to behind the bumperette. I had this done when I had the bumper replaced after a minor ding. It's very easy now to access.
Is the bumperette the small pad I removed first? How would I access that if this happened or dead battery?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Is the bumperette the small pad I removed first? How would I access that if this happened or dead battery?
If you can pull the string from the wheel well, keep it there. In my box the front manual release was tucked between the trunk and the right headlight. It was also reefed down so it would not move, There was no way it could be accessed if the front trunk electrical release failed. The back release in my box is also MIA. Something I will change so if the electrical release fails I have an option with no prying or drilling. I wonder if this was a dealer option?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #14

dead battery

battery is in front relocate wire to lip inside center opening. as far as the rear lweave oit where it was...dont have to take tire off to access or take of rear bumper (super easy) and reroute thru bumperette, however to get to it bumperette has to come off. just leave it where the po had it imo. great pic of garage lol wheres the sledgehammer or did i miss it
Old 02-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #15

james, turn right front wheel to right, take wheel well cover off partially, reach in and feel around. this was my original location then rerouted to lip of center opening. never had a problem since replacing faulty actuator
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
james, turn right front wheel to right, take wheel well cover off partially, reach in and feel around. this was my original location then rerouted to lip of center opening. never had a problem since replacing faulty actuator
Mine is down by the horns now. It was actually pinched between the right headlight and the wall of the trunk. I took the lights out, front bumper off, and even did the radiator cleaning dance while replacing the horns before I recognized it. There was no way to get to it without removing the right headlight.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
I am my own mechanic....

Has anyone come up with a fix for broken wires or is it really new cables? Where do they terminate?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

In my 01s, the bumperette is held in place by a single bolt from underneath. You use a trox driver to remove. The bumperette covers the grey part in the black bumper shown in this post. In the picture with the camera in, you can see the bolt at the bottom of the bracket near where the camera cable turns.

You can also relocate the front emergency release so you can access it through the tow hole in the bumper cover.

Last edited by thom4782; 02-02-2014 at 05:00 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #19
Beginner

Garage
I have swaged cables but nothing as important as this. Personally I would replace the unit. There are a couple of Boxsters being parted out in the parts wanted or for sale link. I'd PM them first and go with new if forced to. That's just me.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #20

My history. I put the stuff from the store in the trunk and slammed it shut. Unfortunately, I couldn't open it when I got home. After I found a spare cable under the rear bumper, it turned off too. 🤦🏻****♂️I had to completely remove the spoiler and rear bumper. Then I found the trunk vent and removed the grille. Through the ventilation, I put my hand into the trunk. With the help of a spare cable (which also turned out to be disabled), I managed to carefully put it on the lock opening lever and pull it towards me (where it should be initially).

Jekont is offline   Reply With Quote