Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #21

@recycledsixtie and thstone: I've been in my friends 911, I really haven't considered owning one. I'll have to drive one and do a little research. From what I've seen there really isn't a back seat in a 911, just a place to put an ice chest and a lap top, or maybe a small dog.

I've got the name of a local Indy and I've been at the local Porsche dealer. I'm planning on talking to the Indy in the next week.

@ everyone else: thanks for the replies and comments.

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #22

@dmairspotter: About extra $ for first year expense, from what I've read that's about what I had in mind, sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #23

Here’s what I tried to post several times last night, but without hyperlinks…

I looked at a ‘99 at the local Porsche dealer Thursday, the battery was dead, the price was higher than some local ’00 options and it had more miles. More or less a waste of time. Miles 95,533, Asking $13,970, oil changed at dealership within the last year, brake fluid changed at the dealership within the last two years, no other maintenance records.

Friday I looked at two ‘00s. A silver one and a very nice looking Guards Red Boxster. I just looked at the Silver one, it really didn’t strike me as my car. The odments hinge was broken, seats were worn, but what do you expect from a 14 year old car. They did repair the rear window. Mileage 67,857, Asking 12,500, no maintenance information, tires looked OK, but I’m not familiar enough to k now how much of the remaining tread was good.

The Red one looked nicer. The dealer had it ready for me to test drive. The car had new P-zero’s on it, and like the other car the rear window had been repaired. The floor mats were odd looking so I looked under them. There were some pretty good stains on the passenger’s side. I suppose that’s from clogged drains? Test drive was OK, it was wet. Miles 59,530, asking $11,995, no maintenance records. Previous owner was 66 and owned it for a year.

I haven’t driven a stick in 25 years. It used to feel natural and really good. I didn’t embarrass myself driving this car but it didn’t feel great. I was a little nervous starting at the bottom of a hill and overall I wasn’t that smooth.

I’m 6’2’, I was sure that I had the seat all the way back but it didn’t feel like I had enough leg room. My peddle work was a little clumsy, but again it felt like there wasn’t enough leg room and well, I have big feet.

@ Raise OnPorsches: California would be a long road trip.

@ heliguy: Your right. If I go with a later model car I’ll have money to cover gotchas (Like RandallNieghbour’s experience), and I’m really still trying to figure out what’s right for me.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #24

Garage
Hey BS -

Just a quick note from another former CRXer. I had the mid-model & always wished I had the Si, but great cars all around. Ever since, I have gone with the more powerful motor version in the cars I've bought & that includes the Box. Before I bought this I thought I wanted a 911, but now not so much. Good luck & look forward to hearing when you find the one you want!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post
........ The odments hinge was broken, seats were worn, but what do you expect from a 14 year old car.
I expected a lot and that is what I got, but only after a lot of patience, which is the key IMO. There are lots of worn out Boxsters out there but there are also many that are well cared for. I searched forums, every auto classified site, PCA, and my local mechanic before I found my 2001 S that was a two owner 64K mile, well cared for Boxster. After a year and a half, I have not had any real issues and could not be happier. I paid $13,750 for it. Patience and negotiation. I would add the classifieds on the Excellence Magazine website to your search. Traveling to a good car just might get you a better vehicle which will pay for the travel costs. I live in TX and traveled to Atlanta for mine. The trip home was a blast! Highly recommended good luck with your search, this forum is an incredible resource. If you find a long distance car, chances are, someone on this site will go look at a prospect for you.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post
@RawleyD & Timco: There are upsides and down sides to everything. More power, better brakes, better resale, all good upsides. Are there down sides to an S, are part like brakes and shocks more expensive. Is the IMS issue more or less likely on the larger engine, does anyone really know any way?
Oh, I can see both sides. Extra $ on consumables is barely noticed unless it's driven hard or track. Too many benefits to pass on for me, and this one is immaculate.

The small penis thing however, is a real bummer. Searched Pelican but no parts for that. Maybe Porsche design and the $800 cuff links will help.....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #27

There's a 2002 S in town with a reasonable list price. I may check it out next Friday.