Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Garage
Tensioner fall off

Yep. After making it 48 miles, I hit the exit ramp of the express way and started hearing a god awful noise. Made the turn and realized my power steering was gone. Figured it was the belt and hoped it wasn't my water pump that caused it.

Anyway, I found the tensioner, washer, and the sleeve that slides inside of it. The owner's manual talks about a spacer but doesn't mention the sleeve. The Porsche parts manual doesn't mention a spacer or a sleeve. Just the wheel.

My questions are, do I have all the parts necessary to put it back together? And can I just pull that little arm off and put it together outside the car and then slide the arm back in? (I tried just pulling on it, and that doesn't work. I'm too skeered to put a pry bar on it)

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Garage
It's a pain to do. I don't know if you can/want to pull the arm out. I'm pretty sure you will be glad later if you get new parts, probably pickup a HP or 2.

Tensioning Roller:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

Garage
Good call. Why didn't I think of that. Looks like I am missing that little spacer dealy thing. Thanks for looking that up for me.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Yep. After making it 48 miles, I hit the exit ramp of the express way and started hearing a god awful noise. Made the turn and realized my power steering was gone. Figured it was the belt and hoped it wasn't my water pump that caused it.

Anyway, I found the tensioner, washer, and the sleeve that slides inside of it. The owner's manual talks about a spacer but doesn't mention the sleeve. The Porsche parts manual doesn't mention a spacer or a sleeve. Just the wheel.

My questions are, do I have all the parts necessary to put it back together? And can I just pull that little arm off and put it together outside the car and then slide the arm back in? (I tried just pulling on it, and that doesn't work. I'm too skeered to put a pry bar on it)

If you are referring to the arm that is item #3 in the drawing, it has a bolt holding it in from the rear which requires removing the AC compressor to get at to remove. This is not a fun job........