Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

Garage
255/35/18

Have any of you ran a 255/35/18 on the rear vs. the spec 265/35/18? The reason I ask is that my front 225/40/18 still have at least 80% tread left as where the rears are shot. The problem is they have discontinued this brand in the 265/35/18 but I can still get a 255/35/18 and I would like for the front tires to match the back. I have a 97 boxster to begin with so I know I'm already going against the porsche recommended size for that year, running an 18 inch wheel vs a 17. Any feedback would be much appreciated. The car is never tracked and normally only sees 3-4 k miles per year.

2003 model taillights
bobdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdogwv View Post
Have any of you ran a 255/35/18 on the rear vs. the spec 265/35/18? The reason I ask is that my front 225/40/18 still have at least 80% tread left as where the rears are shot. The problem is they have discontinued this brand in the 265/35/18 but I can still get a 255/35/18 and I would like for the front tires to match the back. I have a 97 boxster to begin with so I know I'm already going against the porsche recommended size for that year, running an 18 inch wheel vs a 17. Any feedback would be much appreciated. The car is never tracked and normally only sees 3-4 k miles per year.
This exact topic was fully covered last week. Search & ye shall receive.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Garage
I read the post about the used tire purchase, guess my question would be, if I purchase a new 265/35/18 in a completely different brand than the front would I see any problems? I don't mind purchasing them, I just didn't want to replace all 4 tires, to keep the same brand, when the fronts had so much life left in them.
2003 model taillights
bobdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

Daily driver, two different brands, no big deal. Been there done that. life will not cease to exist if this happens
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdogwv View Post
I read the post about the used tire purchase, guess my question would be, if I purchase a new 265/35/18 in a completely different brand than the front would I see any problems? I don't mind purchasing them, I just didn't want to replace all 4 tires, to keep the same brand, when the fronts had so much life left in them.
Just be sure the tires are comparable to the fronts. Same performance category, same speed rating, similar tread pattern.
I usually start the search at tirerack.com after writing down all the info from the tires you are keeping. Only look at the tire categories that match the front tires. Front tires usually last twice as long as rear tires so you may want to try & buy tires that will wear out at the same time as your fronts as much as possible.