Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Problem with non-Porsche winter dd

I hope it is okay to post a message asking for help with my winter daily driver. It is a 2005 VW Passat with the small turbo, "quattro," traction control, and ABS.

A few months back I was hearing weird creaking sounds from the front suspension when turning. My mechanic found that the front axles were shot and replaced them. I am pretty sure he used axles from NAPA, etc., and not factory VW axles. He had to use a ton of Liquid Wrench to do the work. When I got the car back, the creaking noise was gone, but a new problem had been created.

When coming to a complete stop, it seems like the ABS is being activated, but in a weird, uneven way. It sounds like rocks are being crushed between the pads and rotors. Big rocks and small rocks...so I'll get a big ABS application pulse, then a small one, a small one, a big one...very uneven, not the typical smooth, regulated ABS pulsing. It does this EVERY stop, no matter what the road surface is like. Of course, the ABS should only be activated on slippery surfaces. When I have come to a stop on slippery surfaces, it is a little scary, I'm convinced the ABS is not acting normally.

My mechanic assumed that this problem was the result of all the Liquid Wrench he used, and that it would eventually evaporate and the problem go away, but it didn't. We have since replaced the front pads and rotors and rear pads. The problem persisted and wasn't affected.

A second mechanic suggested that we replace the ABS module, or send it out for rebuilding. The problem is, I don't know WHY doing that would solve whatever the problem is! Why would changing axles make the ABS module go bad??

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #2

Haven't a clue. But interested.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Each tire has an ABS sensor that detects if the wheel is turning or locked so the ABS can know how to do its thing. A sensor is unplugged or ruined from the spray. Or dirt in the grooves that the sensor sees. It's on the inner hub on the Box.

Take it to VW service.
get quote to "fix your brakes".
do it yourself or your mechanic if he broke it.
profit.

Last edited by Timco; 01-27-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote