Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Who here is emotionally attached to their Boxster?

If offered what you considered a fair price, cash in hand, would you sell?

Not debating mods. Say they paid a reasonable percentage.

What would stop you? What if you made $2k or better on the sale over what you paid?

I would not sell. There's something more than just the car value. The truck, well, bye!

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
If offered what you considered a fair price, cash in hand, would you sell?

Not debating mods. Say they paid a reasonable percentage.

What would stop you? What if you made $2k or better on the sale over what you paid?

I would not sell. There's something more than just the car value. The truck, well, bye!
Sold two of mine. Loved the cars, but at the end of the day...for me at least...there are just so many around and not unique enough. A crap load of fun to cruise around in, but I like the older stuff.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
A very good thread Timco. I am emotionally attached to my Boxster and would not want to experience seller's remorse as one member previously did and bought his Boxster back.

I do find it somewhat wearing that parts need to be replaced as the car gets older even though I have only 40k miles on it. Like a thoroughbred horse it needs more maintenance than your average car. Would I sell it at this point for $2k more than what I paid? After 3 years of ownership I would likely say no. Possibly to sell it for a used Cayman but they want too much $$$$ for those still.

So at this point time no. I do not want to put a big hole in my retirement savings for a CPO Cayman. That also would be too nice a car to drive in winter. So for now my 2001 Box base fits my needs well. I look forward to the spring here to see what Boxes and Caymans are going for and to drive the snot out of my Boxster!
Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm sexually attracted to mine...is that weird? Nah.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #5

Who here is emotionally attached to their Boxster?

For me, it would have to be some stupidly high price to unhinge me from my car, but even at 2x it's value, I probably wouldn't sell. I do have an emotional connection to the car on a couple of levels; I bought it new in 2003 , optioned the way I wanted, at a time when my career was on the upswing - now after going through two corporate downsizings, it's a very different story unfortunately - so the car's a constant reminder of 'kindler/gentler' and happier times. Additionally, I tweak/customize and work on all my cars- this car looks and drives much better than the original. I routinely get lots of attention, compliments and thumbs ups at car shows - even from 911 owners , so in some respect, it has become partly a reflection of me. Always hard to give yourself away
MNICEBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNICEBOX View Post
For me, it would have to be some stupidly high price to unhinge me from my car, but even at 2x it's value, I probably wouldn't sell. I do have an emotional connection to the car on a couple of levels; I bought it new in 2003 , optioned the way I wanted, at a time when my career was on the upswing - now after going through two corporate downsizings, it's a very different story unfortunately - so the car's a constant reminder of 'kindler/gentler' and happier times. Additionally, I tweak/customize and work on all my cars- this car looks and drives much better than the original. I routinely get lots of attention, compliments and thumbs ups at car shows - even from 911 owners , so in some respect, it has become partly a reflection of me. Always hard to give yourself away
That kind of claim justifies pics of your 2003.....
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

I hate the ********************, but still love her
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Interesting question. I bought my '99 new in the fall of '98 and although I have very, very low miles, I really enjoy it every time I drive the car. When the weather is poor (as it is in Alberta right now), I like to visit my clean cars in the garage and while I appreciate different cars for different reasons, this is to me a very special car. I have no modifications but am going to change to a new single DIN stereo in a way that is completely reversible so I can have bluetooth, but otherwise it is completely stock and is perfect in its' own way. It would not be available even at the original price.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #9

Attached
TRPLBLK04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Definitely attached. I think I'd feel guilty selling because of all the mods...it would take someone else a while just to figure it out.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #11

The only thing that's preventing me from buying a brand-new Boxster S is the $85,000 sticker price I saw on one at the Detroit auto show this week. that being said If someone offered me a fair price for my 2002 base Boxster I would sell it and buy a 2004 Boxster S.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #12

I definitely sell it and buy a 911
Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
What if you made $2k or better on the sale over what you paid?
$2k (and up) is what I can do in one week of wage-slave work so no to your question. Even if I'd be offered 10k more.

My boxster is not a DD in my case. Its a toy. A big red toy! If I ever get rid of this little roadster car for some weird reason.... it will be given to family or a friend - nothing less.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
$2k (and up) is what I can do in one week of wage-slave work so no to your question. Even if I'd be offered 10k more.

My boxster is not a DD in my case. Its a toy. A big red toy! If I ever get rid of this little roadster car for some weird reason.... it will be given to family or a friend - nothing less.
Oh, I agree. The $2k mark was a starting point. It would take you a week???

For double cash, I would get over it because that's my down on a 911.

Give it to family? That's actually a great idea....

Not For Sale!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #15

I just can't imagine watching someone else drive it away, unless it was, say, a graduation present for my grandson. So I'll have it for at least another 17 years.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #16

Never. Unless you offered me enough to buy the exact same car and mod it all up again and some. The Boxster to me is more than just a toy. It has its own personality. Soul if you will.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #17

It's not worth it to me to sell. I have too much invested to sell for the 12-18k I could maybe get for it. I will just keep it in my collection.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #18

Took my car in for a inspection sticker. The guy looked at me strangely so I had to tell him that I rarely see anyone driving away in my car as he pulled round back. If I ever sell, I would not watch her drive away.

I probably could get 2k over for my car but then I would be on a search for one just like it or better. Every time I hear some of the bearing topics and the ridiculousness that comes with it, I start thinking 987.2 so I can be done with this game but still have a boxster. My car is nice so sometimes when I see cheap boxsters I'm thinking that would be nice to drive the snot out of it. And when it breaks, go get another and step and repeat. Prob not cost effective though. For right now, she stays. I think I'm in the good position with my 05S with a fixable bearing. 987 pluses with 986 fixes. Waiting to see how the others hold up.

Last edited by rp17; 01-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Damn Yankee

Garage
I get attached to all my rides.

When I got done with my last two cars (S14s), I gave them to my son. He sold the first one, the second is his DD.

He'll probably get the Boxster when it's time; I'd strongly consider getting another, maybe a Cayman.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #20

Garage
I'm emotionally attached to boxsters but not my specific car, if I was going to a new home and I made bank on the sell I would be absolutely fine, cause I could use to money to a buy a slightly newer higher powered boxster or even just a cleaner 2.5

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote