Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #1

Question Window Regulator Problem? Or Height Adjustment

Hey Guys,

Been registered to the forum for a while, but this is my first post.

This forum has a been great help and reference tool for my 01 Boxster. And I appreciate the resources available to me.

Since acquiring the car in March, I've changed the oil, and then replaced the Window Regulator and AOS.

My concern is about my window regulator. I bought a new one from ebay, assuming non OEM.

I replaced it, and the window functions perfectly up and down.

However, I did notice that when I finished the install the window was a bit high/tall. The problem is when I try to shut the door, the window doesn't drop and hits the convertible top roof as I shut the door.

Upon further inspection, I am able to physically push my window down when I upon the door (even if it doesn't drop). When I pull the handle, I can hear the motor engaging, but the windows doesn't move.

Trying to figure out the solution to the problem. I hate opening my door again (especially in this cold weather!), but if I have to I will.

Wondering if anyone could chime in for possible solution?

Suspects:
1) Regulator: Being a new regulator, I don't know if I can say the cable was "stretched". If it is defective I can always ask for a warranty exchange. However the windows work perfectly up and down, it just doesn't drop.

2) Window Adjustment: Is it possible that I can adjust the windows via the two screws on the bottom of the door? How mcuh adjustment can I do, and is this really the likely culprit? Since there are two screws, what do both adjust? I hate to mess with the factory adjustment of this really isn't my problem.

3) Window Memory? When I first installed the windows, they wouldn't go all the way up. So I rolled the windows all the way down, then held the button for whatever time. Then I rolled them up, then held them for a few seconds and it seemed to allow the windows to come up. But it didn't the window dropping problem when I open the door, and it looks as bit high. Am I doing these steps incorrectly?

I apologize for the detailed post, and hopefully I can figure out how to fix this. It's a bit of an annoyance, and I'm sure it's not healthy for me to keep slamming the glass against the convertible top

Thanks for your time, and I hope to become more active in this community.

korbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #2

See this thread for the fix I came up with:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable-3.html

Turns out that it probably isn't actually a stretched cable, but rather a broken guide of some sort, but the fix works and so far it has been permanent for me.

Last edited by Dave S.; 01-24-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable-3.html

Turns out that it probably isn't actually a stretched cable, but rather a broken guide of some sort, but the fix works and so far it has been permanent for me.
Mr. Dave, thank you for your suggestion. I'll try your fix later. I hope it isn't complicated. If I have any questions I'll post them here

It's kinda weird if that is the problem, since my regulator is new. I had this problem since I installed it.

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Thought there was a simple way to "reset" them...which may be necessary after replacing the regulator. From memory window up, then down a few inches and then up and hold the up button for 5 seconds....may want to search and not trust my memory
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Mr. Dave for the suggestion.

My question is how can I tell where to place the bicycle brake cable adjustment barrel? I see people have been placing either the front lower bracket part of it, or the rear lower bracket part of it.

Does it depend where the slack is? or does it really matter. I don't plan on taking the regulator out.

Once I install the brake cable adjustment barrel, I assume I need to adjust it where it will pull most of the slack?

I have two in my possession at the moment. I assume I will only need one.

Some people also remove the cable from the pulley, is that necessary? And if my plastic piece looks like good shape, should I even consider removing it or should I attempt to screw on the brake adjustment barrel right on the plastic piece.

Dreading taking the door apart again, especially in the cold... but it could be worst

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

Update: I was able to fix the regulator. Not sure what I did, but I notice where the line was slacking. I pulled on the cable and messed with some spring and it adjusted and tightened up.

It works for now. Next time this happens I'll install do the bicycle brake adjustment tool fix.

Thank you everyone for your help and I look forward to learning from you guys