Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
olly986

1 111 Carrera Gt sold by christmas

the 1 111 gt was sold to a customer as a christmas present in the united arab emirates, this is quite a stupendous amount of cars considering the short perios of time it has being in production and will cease to be made in april 06

33 859 cars sold in northern america for 2005
14 524 cayennes
10 653 911s
8 327 boxsters
and 355 gts

not bad

Old 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
bmussatti

That's about $3 billion in sales for the USA!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #3

My wife keeps telling me I'm hard to buy for around Christmas and it never occurred to me to ask her for a CGT. Somebody remind me to ask for it in October for an early build date and a December delivery date.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
bmussatti

Here Randall, just in case she needs some photos to help her shopping trip!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My wife keeps telling me I'm hard to buy for around Christmas and it never occurred to me to ask her for a CGT. Somebody remind me to ask for it in October for an early build date and a December delivery date.

Randall you better order before it seems that the last Gt will be made in April of this year!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #6

I wonder how many of those CGT's have been totaled. Its gotta be hundreds.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I wonder how many of those CGT's have been totaled. Its gotta be hundreds.

Perfectlap, why do you think this? I am just interested in hearing your thoughts. I doubt that many of them see the outsides of thier garages!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #8

well for starters its a beast. THe car was never intended to be a road car. Its a racing car that was intended to be in the LeMans series. Can you imagine Audi collecting the left over R8's and putting on sale for the public without and driving instruction?!? I don't see how CGT is any different.
Everyone I know who has driven the CGT has spun it. INcluding one guy who is no stranger to Porsches and drives a 996TT everyday, the CGT is his garage queen. I know that the GT3 has a very high attrition rate as well (and they only sell 300 a year!) and that's a much easier to drive car then the CGT. So its just a disaster waiting to happen in the wrong hands, especially before the tires up to temp. I've noticed these cars are often resold with very low if any mileage, and I oftern hear customers complain that if they had been allowed to test drive it before it first came out that they never would have put in the order. I wonder how many of them feared the car the whole time they owned it.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #9

I could handle it no problem...who wants to loan me one?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #10

LOL that made me laugh, no offense.
there was a guy on the Rennlist who recently did just that with his CGT. Let a couple take it for a spin (he must have been drunk) and the female driver promptly put it into a tree, totaled. I wonder if the insurance company will cover the $400K since the insured driver was standing a few blocks away at the time of the crash.

check this out rail and tell me if you still want to jump in
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1294420330942974226&q=porsche

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-09-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
bmussatti

That's a great video! Very impressive. The guy makes it look easy. He is probably all of 125 pounds dripping wet. I think he was sitting on a phone book too. I bet Rail26 eats guys like that for breakfast.

Hey, if Jay Leno can drive the wheels off that thing, I am thinking Rail26 could do the same...if not better! Now, lets see if Jay can fly an Apache.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #12

Our local CGT owner (his regular car a turbo carrera I think) is seen around town, and takes it to tracks in the area to drive, i.e. it's not sitting in his garage.

Randall's got the plan - I'll just kind of work it into a conversation that I'd REALLY like one next Christmas.

Wait a minute: Christmas presents in Saudi Arabia????? Didn't think there were a lot of Lutherans there...that sly ole Saint Nick gets around.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #13

We had a local fellow expire on the track with his CGT. He was hit by a Ferrari at an ungodly speed.

His buddy was with him "for a spin" and also expired.

These cars are lethal.

Having said that, the new Corvette ZO6 is a whisper slower than the CGT and there will be TONS of them out there.

Beware.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #14

These cars are rich guy's playthings, intended to sit in the garage alongside the F40 and the XJ220 and look pretty.
Not to say that they don't work, but whether they do or not is probably incidental to the buyers. If the buyer has a 8 or 9 figure bank account, what's the difference if his $450,000 GT turns out to be something he doesn't really like? Dump it and buy the next $1.2 million Hemi 'Cuda instead.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #15

the last time I checked the NTSB stats, I think the corvette has the highest fatality rate for production cars.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey, if Jay Leno can drive the wheels off that thing, I am thinking Rail26 could do the same...if not better! Now, lets see if Jay can fly an Apache.
There's an episode of "Rides" where Mark Donohue's son, also a race driver, coaches Jay Leno how to drive the CGT so that production car speed records could be attempted at the track. There was a whole team of mechanics working on the CGT that would be used for the records and another for practice.

As you imagine, race drivers, like pilots, don't make very good passengers. Donohue didn't like being in the car with Jay Leno. Donohue said that anybody can be taught to drive at 150 mph but every mile per hour above that becomes more and more dependent on the god given talent of the driver and exponentially less forgiving of errors. Jay Leno did pretty good but he did lose it in practice and spun five times around. You could see the whole support team cringing and hoping that he wouldn't hit the wall (he didn't).
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #17

That's understandable that he wouldn't want to be a passenger with an amateur driving, afterall his father died on the track in Austria. He was from a town very close to me here in NJ.
I make a terrible passenger as well, particularly when my friend's very young girl friend from Sao Paolo is driving 100+mph with one hand on the steering wheel and looking into the rear view mirror every 5 seconds just to make eye contact with the back seat passengers she's talking to.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-10-2006 at 12:03 PM.