Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Heated Sport Seats?

I have a '00 boxster with the sport design package which comes with the leather sports seats. I have been wanting to add heating elements to the seats but was not sure whether the standard seat porsche heating elements (assuming I could even find them for a reasonable $) would fit the sports seats. Does anyone know? I know there are aftermarket options available and I may eventually go that route but I want the install to look as factory as possible and whichever direction I go, I would like to wire it back to the factory button location on the console.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

I just finished swapping a set of "non-sport" heated seats into my car, and it has been a nice upgrade, especially since this winter has been colder than average. I'm assuming that you have seen this DIY: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

I know he only provides the part number for the non-sports seats, but I would use this as the blue print for my effort. Here's how I would proceed:

1. Assuming that heated sports seats were a factory option, contact Sunset or Suncoast Porsche and see if their parts person has the the part number for the heated seat foam for the sports seats. Then you could follow Dennis' instructions for swapping the seat foam and installing the various components and wiring.

2. If they can't find it or confirm they were not made, I would see if a local upholstery shop could install and aftermarket kit and use Dennis Vogel's wiring instructions to power them. Here's a discussion on the UK site about the subject: http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32978 (You need to register on Boxanet to read the post.) Unfortunately, no one followed up with instructions for using the aftermarket kit with the Porsche switches.

3. Another possibility is to see if you could take the foam out of a regular set of heated seats and marry it to the foam of your heated seats.

I think you would need a good upholsterer and a good electronics person to make it work. The electronics person would have to be particularly well motiviated.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-20-2014 at 08:05 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

I do remember reading that thread

sometime back. I am for sure going to look at doing something simpler and more cost effective in the long run as what he did seemed really complex though very nice.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

Your project may be practical if you are able to find a pair of heated sports seats that you could swap in and were willing to do the labor yourself. You would then have to sell your current unheated sport seats to recoup part of your cost.

I followed Dennis' instructions when I installed my seats. I agree that the instructions appear challenging, but I took it step-by-step and it the project turned out well.

The cost is another factor. I was able to find a pair of good used seats for $600 shipped and the seller included the switches and some wire connectors that resulted in a big savings. I also paid $100 to have an upholsterer swap the leather from my passenger seat to the heated driver's seat. So, in addition to the heat, I also have better-looking seats.

While I was originally out over $700 I was able to sell the seats I had left over and reduced my net cost to about $275. (Plus about 10 hours of my labor.)

The prices for parts and labor that Dennis quoted are now several years old, so if you used new components at today's prices I think the approximately $1200 he spent would grow to $1500 or more.

Good luck if you decide to do this.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote