Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #1

Thumbs up New 04 986S owner!

Hey guys, I am about to pickup this fairly used (6950miles) 2004 BoxsterS. I have test-driven the car twice and it runs amazing. I love it more than my current automatic 2.5 Z4. Unfortunately the lease for the Z4 runs out so I am going to buy this 04S. Car was demo but noone has overused it or pushed it to its limits according to written statement of dealer.

Now, the ext/int as well as the top are black. The interior has some nice touches here and there but not so modern or great looking as the Z4 imo. That's not because Porsche can't pull it off thats proly the way the car got into the dealer.

Anyone has pictures of the Aluminum dash? The one that surrounds the climate control and the PSM etc etc buttons? I wanted to see how it looks as currently mine is black/plastic.

Steering wheel is the 3-spoke one, while very nice I like a lot the one from 987. Anywhere to buy? Does it fit?

The only thing I dont really like are the rims. I will be changing those when the tires run out... Any idea on which style?

I've already installed the side clear lights, I did not like the orange ones so the pictures are old.

Pictures:
Click here.

Thanks and I cant wait to pick "her" up!!!

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 02-07-2006 at 02:33 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #2

Sweet!

Enjoy and welcome to forum.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #3

She's a beauty! Welcome aboard!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #4

The black one looks awesome. We have the same year and model of boxster The milage is also about the same (8000 km).

I agree about the look of the rims. I'm looking for a good replacement as well and thinking to change them out to 18'' Techart Formula wheels (silver) when the tires run out.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #5

Nice ride. Some Carrera light wheels would look sweet on that thing.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #6

Exclamation Nice

Thing of beauty isn't it! Enjoy it man drive it enthusiastically. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #7

Ah, you've finally transcended and moved up to a Porsche, but a bit unwillingly from what I read between the lines of your intro post!

I believe you will find that the boxster handles corners far better than your Z3 due to the midship engine.

The aluminum bits that can be put in the car just don't look natural to me, but you can find them from time to time on Ebay... but all sellers, be it an Ebay seller or a stealership are so proud of these items that they go for a king's ransom.

I do not think the 987's steering wheel will work on a 986, but ask your service manager and he can find out from a mechanic. I make this assumption because I've never heard of it or seen it done. Your existing 3 spoke wheel and airbag are worth a bunch of cash on Ebay. Everyone with an old 4 spoke wants these as an interior upgrade item.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments, you meant the Z4?

No, really I love the Porsche and yes I consider it a huge upgrade. Exclusivity, style, handling, performance.

What I probably tried to imply is that people I am around usually would prefer a more modern look such as 987 or the Z4 I have/had.

It does not come down to them though, it only comes down to me and I for one love that 986!

As for steering wheel and interior I will investigate further! Again thanks!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:55 AM   #9

oh yeah, sorry... I meant your Z4!

The space-ship interior of the Z4 is certainly different from the more mundane, Porsche-like interior on the 986. They did a great job of updating the interior in the 987, except for the integrated stereo system's head unit that is impossible to upgrade with aftermarket equipment. Be thankful you still have a standard DIN sized stereo head unit should you wish to put an Alpine in it like many of us have done on this list.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #10

hmm.. I think the 3 spoke steering wheel on the 911/Boxster is the nicest of any sports car today. The Cayenne/New BOxster steering wheel doesn't really have the typical minimal sports car look about it. Seems more like something I would see in VW Passat or a sedan.
There are different 3 spoke steering wheels available with brushed aluminum and Carbon Fiber, Alcantara by Porsche and RUF makes some nice upgrades as well. I would suggest adding some aluminum accents or painted silver. Expensive though...

My other bit of advice on your new Black stallion: Buy some TOP QUALITY Korean made polishing and buffing towels and don't let anything else touch your pristine black paint.
Swriling will creep up on you in a moment. A few trips through the local car wash and their terry towels will add 3 years to your paint in a hurry.
I recommend these Sonus Der Wunder towels because they have closed loops and not open(prickly) which can micro marr your paint like the sea of cheap and way over priced Chinese micro fiber towels that have flooded auto stores. Also don't use the the same Chenille wash sponge more than a few times.
Black Paint a love/hate relationship...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-08-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #11

Perfectlap, thanks for all the advice. This is the first black-colored car I will own. It will be taken care 101%

Btw these wheels in your 986 look incredible, how much did you get them for if I am allowed to ask?

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 02-08-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
Perfectlap, thanks for all the advice. This is the first black-colored car I will own. It will be taken care 101%

aBsOlUt, my Dad once told me, "That everyone ownes a black car once in their lives!" He was right! Black cars look awesome, but require a lot of work to keep them looking that way.

I suspect by the end of the summer, you will have arms the size of tree-trunks!

Congrats on the new car!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #13

My wheels are the legendary 5 spoke Carrera light (20 pounds). I saw them on ebay sold by Ernie's Alloys of Miami, Florida and I think I paid $1900 for them.
A good deal. They are very Porsche and show off the S calipers nicely.

Black car is mor work but the reward is worth it.
THe thing to remember is that the more you touch the paint the more you damage it.
So only touch that paint with quality towels( I don't let the car wash guys dry my car with their towels, I give them my Absorber or squeegee blade).
1-With a black car I would abstain from quick detailing between washes and only use quick detailers like NXT imediately after the car is washed and 100% Clean.
2-Only final buff the car with a Concourse grade buffing towel like Meguiar's Gold Class Buffing towel or Autopia-Carcare.com's buffing towel.
3- Use only polishing towels like Sonus Der Wunder polishing towels when removing waxes like Klasse and Zaino and then move onto your less abrasive Buffing towel. Buffing with a polishing towel will damage your paint over time.
4-ALWAYS clay bar the car before waxing, otherwise its like taking sand paper to Black paint. Sediments bond to your paint and don't come of during the wash but do come loose when enough pressure is applied, LIKE WHEN YOU ARE WAXING!
Make sure that surface is 100% sediment free before the wax goes down.
5- Never apply or remove or buff your car in "circles". Up and and down only.
6- ALWAYS lubricate the surface of dirty paint before touching it (claying, washing, removing bird droppings etc.)

my old Black detailing habit
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-08-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
My wheels are the legendary 5 spoke Carrera light (20 pounds). I saw them on ebay sold by Ernie's Alloys of Miami, Florida and I think I paid $1900 for them.
A good deal. They are very Porsche and show off the S calipers nicely.

Black car is mor work but the reward is worth it.
THe thing to remember is that the more you touch the paint the more you damage it.
So only touch that paint with quality towels( I don't let the car wash guys dry my car with their towels, I give them my Absorber or squeegee blade).
1-With a black car I would abstain from quick detailing between washes and only use quick detailers like NXT imediately after the car is washed and 100% Clean.
2-Only final buff the car with a Concourse grade buffing towel like Meguiar's Gold Class Buffing towel or Autopia-Carcare.com's buffing towel.
3- Use only polishing towels like Sonus Der Wunder polishing towels when removing waxes like Klasse and Zaino and then move onto your less abrasive Buffing towel. Buffing with a polishing towel will damage your paint over time.
4-ALWAYS clay bar the car before waxing, otherwise its like taking sand paper to Black paint. Sediments bond to your paint and don't come of during the wash but do come loose when enough pressure is applied, LIKE WHEN YOU ARE WAXING!
Make sure that surface is 100% sediment free before the wax goes down.
5- Never apply or remove or buff your car in "circles". Up and and down only.
6- ALWAYS lubricate the surface of dirty paint before touching it (claying, washing, removing bird droppings etc.)

my old Black detailing habit
Wow! That black Miata is a beauty!

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote