Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Garage
WTF apple

8gb iPod less then 200 MB is my stuff the rest is other! Where does this crap come from.. I have no room for my road tunes.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Garage
You bought the 8GB? LOL
Old 01-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
You bought the 8GB? LOL
This.

8gb??
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
You bought the 8GB? LOL
freebie... sisters ex got it for her and she wanted everything to do with him to be gone haha. I had to factory reset and put all my music and all back on... there is still a butt load in the other though haha. I dont even have a smart phone either.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

Something is not right. Apps are typically less than 100mb each. If you do a factory reset, you should have over 7GB free.

Reset device without tethering then load what you want onto the device.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
You bought the 8GB? LOL
Sure... pay for the 32 and 64 and needlessly spend more for nothing more than cheap extra storage capacity.

Or one can dump Apple altogether and buy devices that dont limit expandable memory merely to upsell higher capacity devices when technology has progressed to the point where removable 32 GB Micro SD cards can bought for $15.
p.s.
And did I mention iTunes being God awful?
Google "why iTunes" and see the next word that comes up most often.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-05-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

Big Apple lover here, but, I also have an iPad and I think they got it all wrong. No ports, no memory expansion, no Flash ability. Then they tied everything to there apps. It is basically a email device or device that allows you to message your other Apple friends. I had the 3 g iPhones and both died of CPU failure. I now have an HTC Sense and love it, just put a new battery in it and I have a 16 gb expanded memory card it it. Apple has a great group of designers but greedy management. I believe the PC Surface or devices like it will kill Apple in the future. It's the iPhone that has Apple this time.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Big Apple lover here, but, I also have an iPad and I think they got it all wrong. No ports, no memory expansion, no Flash ability. Then they tied everything to there apps. It is basically a email device or device that allows you to message your other Apple friends. I had the 3 g iPhones and both died of CPU failure. I now have an HTC Sense and love it, just put a new battery in it and I have a 16 gb expanded memory card it it. Apple has a great group of designers but greedy management. I believe the PC Surface or devices like it will kill Apple in the future. It's the iPhone that has Apple this time.
I got my nearly 70 mother the original 3G Ipad. Apple stops supporting it after only two years. Nevermind that OTA updates could be sent easily... apps no longer work despite not having any major improvements. But she has unlimited data on AT&T so despite asking for an Android tablet (no I did not propose this) since she's imprresed with her Samsung Galaxy phone over her previous iPhone (must be the convenience of a large screen for once...no more squinting on a puny screen). But I convince her to hang on until the 2nd gen 4G iPad comes out figuring it will simply be a big iPhone5 -- a very svelte device except with a battery that doesn't suck and she gets to keep unlimited data for $30 a month. Sure enough the iPad Air delivers the goods and I get her one for the Holidays. So you would think moving over from Ipad 1 to Air would be as easy as activating an Android phone... take out of the UPS box five minutes later all accounts are sync'd and ready to roll. Nope! You have to have a desktop or laptop to connect the new Ipad to iTunes. For what purpose if you don't even use iTunes??? Nevermind that a perfectly good LTE connection is right there inside that could well activate the i-device.
She has no other computer in the house so she has to make an appointment with the "genius" at the store. Have you tried making an online appointment for help at the Apple store? Good lord what a hassle. Each appointment is booked before you even finish filling out the form for the appointment you selected. Move onto the next available appointment...already taken, try again. And again and again. After 10 minutes of this I say enough and I call the 1-800 line and they make the appointment for us. My mother goes to the Apple store and the "genius" sets up the iPad Air but doesn't tell her she needs to stop by the AT&T store to move over the LTE service from Ipad1.... something you figure out once you're no longer at the mall.
AT&T people on the phone can't figure out how do it on the first or second attempt. They have to call her back to figure it out.
This is like a whole day simply to activate a device??!! To quote the OP.. "WTF Apple?"

This vine is starting to make sense now... well maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctqj9l_2uQo

Then its an email every five minutes asking "Why is iOS7 making everything more complicated?" or "How do I get out of this screen? Why Doesn't this thing a simple back button like my Galaxy S3!?"

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
I have an Apple 4S (work provided) and an HTC rezound (google). I use them both (Iphone overseas exclusively) The rezound technology is older than the 4S. I prefer the google over the I phone because of its open architecture (I can upgrade memory, software, and poke around inside) features, and ease of use.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

We have seven ipads at the house, 1 first gen 32gb, 4 3rd gens, 2 4th gens (all 32Gb LTE). No issues with any of them.

We also have a 64gb Surface that my wife got as a door prize at a conference. It sat unopened in the box for three months after she returned before one of the kids asked if they could open it and try it out. All of our boys have messed with it a bit None of them raved about it in anyway.

The Surface is back in the box. The Surface isn't bad, it just doesnt have anything about it that makes it better than the iPad.

BTW, I'm not a brand loyalist (cars, 'puters, anything), but we do seem to have aquired lots of Apple products...

I do like the new Galaxy S4 my 19 year old just got. Quite a product, just a bit too big (for me) to use as a phone.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

At some point MS will get the Surface right and it will become a fairly common corporate tool.
This should have been developed years ago but that's Ballmer for you.
iPads are primarily devices to consume media and partake in casual recreation.
So as long as Windows is the standard for company software, Apple devices will have limited use.
However, the iPhone has eaten a huge chunk of what was Blackberry's share from people that simply don't want to carry two devices. Question is will all those people stay with the iPhone when Apps like Good allow Android phones to access all corporate email, on a larger screen that's easier to type and with batteries capable of easily lasting the day under heavy usage (I get two days with my Note 3). The iPhone seems to be stuck in park/slow to adapt and the 5C is looking like a miss.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-07-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

iPads a great kid device and it was never meant to compete the other macs. Thus the Surface is a new invention from MS and they will refine it. Apple Air, PowerBooks and the iMacs will be in trouble when this happens. Samsungis already cutting inroads into the smart phone market. Apple prefers to sue anyone who infringes on there integrity. Samsung makes there chips and Apple sues them over the rectangle of the screen.WTF. I think the chips they buy will mostly cost more in the future. WTF Apple. By the way, I have been on Apple machines since day one.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #13

FWIW, "Other" data is leftover garbage. I get it on my iPhone form time to time when I delete a movie or app and the OS didn't clean it up properly. Only way to get rid of it is a factory wipe and a fresnh sync. Do not restore a backup as ... you guessed it ... includes a backup with the other data on it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Check to make sure you aren't storing data on the device. Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage>Backups>Show All Apps. That should help, I think.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote