Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #1

Help! Operating temp/idle speed needed

I thought I was being very careful swapping my gauge faces tonight and I messed up all my needles.

Does anyone know what the normal operating temp on a 2.5 should be?

How about RPM at idle?

Post it quickly if you have a 2.5... I'm going back out to the garage to take off the instrument cluster and crack it back open to move the needles. Grrr!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I thought I was being very careful swapping my gauge faces tonight and I messed up all my needles.

Does anyone know what the normal operating temp on a 2.5 should be?

How about RPM at idle?

Post it quickly if you have a 2.5... I'm going back out to the garage to take off the instrument cluster and crack it back open to move the needles. Grrr!
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't have my books handy, but couldn't you simply set the Needles at Zero? That should be the normal state of the Gauges once disconnected...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #3

not quite that simple. They move around a little... like a half inch either way.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
After start up my car idles at around 900RPM. After a couple of minutes of driving my car is at 800 RPM at idle. Normal operating temp. is inbetween the 8 and 0 on the 180 mark after the car has warmed up.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #5

Thanks. I think that'll do it if I can pull those needles and push them back in place without turning them again.

What a pain in the arse.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #6

Finally got the needles in the right places. Ladies and gentlemen, it can be done, but not easily!

Fixed that pesky fuel gauge needle too. It always read 7/8 full when completely full. I topped off the tank, set the needle to the correct spot at the bottom and bob's your uncle, it now reads full for the first time in 19 months of ownership. (BTW, my new fuel sending unit had already been calibrated and it was indeed a needle problem)

My silver TechArt gauges are very cool indeed. Should I ever paint my calipers red, I doubt anyone would know I wasn't driving an S without the badge. And better yet, I only paid $119 for them on Ebay. I guess it does pay to set your alarm for 2:45 am to be the only bidder on an auction, huh?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Finally got the needles in the right places. Ladies and gentlemen, it can be done, but not easily!

Fixed that pesky fuel gauge needle too. It always read 7/8 full when completely full. I topped off the tank, set the needle to the correct spot at the bottom and bob's your uncle, it now reads full for the first time in 19 months of ownership. (BTW, my new fuel sending unit had already been calibrated and it was indeed a needle problem)

My silver TechArt gauges are very cool indeed. Should I ever paint my calipers red, I doubt anyone would know I wasn't driving an S without the badge. And better yet, I only paid $119 for them on Ebay. I guess it does pay to set your alarm for 2:45 am to be the only bidder on an auction, huh?

Randall, post some pictures of the new gauges!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #8

I'll do it tonight when I get home from work. The boxster is in the garage all nice and happy. It got a facelift (new gauges) and a fart-regulator (02 sensors) all in one week!

I wonder how the car will feel when I install the new seats later this week?

The gauges are far better looking in the daylight than at night. Not real uniform illumination, and not as contrast-bright as my black faces. But, I've been wanting them since I saw Boxsters on Ebay and had to settle for one without them, so I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #9

Here's a pic of my new gauge faces. They look white in the pic, but they're silver.

BTW, while I had the display taken apart, I took a sharpie and colored strips of masking tape and put it all along the base of the left and right bases and around the sides so the light wouldn't leak through. ToolPants posted a pic of that being done a long time ago and I thought I'd try it. It worked great.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-07-2006 at 02:50 PM.