Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #1

oil drain plug question

I don't have my new to me used 2002 S yet but I'm studying a lot of forums to get educated. It looks like the oil drain plug is an internal 8mm allen wrench. I guess I'm old school and like a drain plug with an external hex are these available as replacements ? Or am I over thinking this ?

rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #2

If you want to buy a new drain plug, buy a magnetic one from L&E Engineering. But, it's still internal.

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/catalog/billet-aluminum-hard-anodized-magnetic-drain-plug-2pack-p-183.html

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 12-21-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
jakesbox

First time I ever changed my oil I thought I had really hit the big time because of the Allen wrench set up...lol. Man I'm a nerd right?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
I believe that the less stuff that hangs out below the car the better. Driving in winter and occasionally being a snowplough with windrows can be problematic because I have the IMS Guardian installed. Not only is the pigtail/nut exposed to the elements but the wiring that goes to the front of the car is exposed to ice and snow. So the original allen screw drain plug is a good idea as it is recessed and has less chance of being dragged on a manhole cover etc.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
First time I ever changed my oil I thought I had really hit the big time because of the Allen wrench set up...lol. Man I'm a nerd right?
You want to know nerdy:

I insist on drilling all my drain plugs for safety wire, and the shoulder of the plug is quite a narrow space to drill from the outside of the shoulder to the center of the allen head socket area.

I earned my right to be a nerd though, I'm a hell'uv an engineer...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I will go one further trimer. I thought I was nerdy when.....I bought a torque wrench.
Sorry to hijack this thread. This could spawn a whole new thread such as I thought I was nerdy when.....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I will go one further trimer. I thought I was nerdy when.....I bought a torque wrench.
Sorry to hijack this thread. This could spawn a whole new thread such as I thought I was nerdy when.....
OMG....I bought the giant one from Lowes for $60 or $70....whatever it was. It's HUGE. I use it for my tires mostly. My neighbor came over and was completely envious. Awesome 12 year old guy moment. Torque wrench envy. The best. (....But he as a way better floor jack than I do....so we're sort of even.)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
pjq

I've used both Dimple and LN Engineering magnetic drain plugs, they both work well as long as you TORQUE them to the proper setting.
I over torqued the LN Eng. plug and snapped off the shoulder of the plug BUT I didn't harm the drain pan, so maybe its a good weak link. Plug replacement is cheaper than pan replacement.
The Dimple plug is a more robust plug with a hex head and I'd guess i could damage the oil pan if I wasn't paying attention.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
I've used both Dimple and LN Engineering magnetic drain plugs, they both work well as long as you TORQUE them to the proper setting.
I over torqued the LN Eng. plug and snapped off the shoulder of the plug BUT I didn't harm the drain pan, so maybe its a good weak link. Plug replacement is cheaper than pan replacement.
The Dimple plug is a more robust plug with a hex head and I'd guess i could damage the oil pan if I wasn't paying attention.
This " dimple " plug is that a brand/manufacturer ? Where did you purchase ? Is it a magnetic plug ? Thanks
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
Had that same experience, because I forgot from one year to the next that the magnetic plug requires 19 ft-lbs, not 37 like the original. Fortunately, after about 15 minutes of frantic searching, I found the original one and put it back in until I get another magnetic.

I totally agree that it is better for the plug to break rather than damage the drain hole. My first thought when I felt the torque wrench slip was that I had stripped the hole, and that wasn't a nice feeling. My relief at seeing the fuct up plug was indescribable.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #11

"I earned my right to be a nerd though, I'm a hell'uv an engineer..."

GT alumni perhaps?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
"i earned my right to be a nerd though, i'm a hell'uv an engineer..."

gt alumni perhaps?
what's the good word?

986S
991S