Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #21

I think other people know exactly what I'm talking about. There's spinning a car because you overcooked your entry speed. And there's ending up in a tree from the same mistake.
Perhaps you are the next Kimi Raikonen and learn without making mistakes, but most people don't know the line until they've crossed it... a few times.

p.s.
A 3.2 Porsche is the first sports car you've owned? Congrats. That's like having Kate Upton as your highschool girlfriend.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #22

I'll add another antidote.
I owned a really nice 2003 Z4 3.0 6sp. that I bought to replace a 99 M roadster. HP was similar in both cars but the driving experience was night and day different. The M felt, looked, drove and sounded like a sports car, the Z4 felt like a more refined touring car with sports car potential.

In 2006 I drove an '05 350Z Roadster Grand touring 6 speed (bad az yellow) Nice car but felt just like the Z4 in terms of being more of a tourer than anything else.

The first time I test drove a BoxS (a used 2003), my first reaction was simply, "Oh Sh_t, I'm going to have to buy one of these! That particular car was out of my price range at the time but still got the wheels turning and a few years later, I bought the one I currently own.

The only other time I had a similar feeling was the first time I drove a Miata in 1990. Sure, the car was was considered under powered, but coming from a background of Fiat and Alfa Spiders, the Miata had more than enough performance and that gear box....wow! Just knowing that the Miata would be a reliable car was icing on the cake! I bought a used A package car in the sping of 1991, kept if for six years and enjoyed it the whole time.

So far, the BoxS has been the same experience. The car has not dissapointed me and is still a blast to drive.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #23

^ yeah I was surprised by how kart-like the Miata felt. Once I slapped Azenis and KYB's on it....forget it. You can't do better for the money.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
So a "friend" of mine was talking to me, and he does not know that I just bought a Boxster S ( I prefer to wait until I am fully comfortable with the car). He currently owns an older Mazda Miata. He told me that the best car for the price is the nissan 350-370z. I asked why not a host of other cars, BMW, Honda S2000, Eclipse, Porsche Cayman, and he had his own little arguments for each. I finally came down to Boxster and he said "haha Nissan would smoke that" a Boxster is basically a Miata. :troll:

So the real question is, how does a Nissan 350z and a Boxster S 986 matchup?
Sounds like your friend has been doing alot of reading & has a valid point. The Nissan VQ engine is a great engine & has won many awards. This V6 has been around for a long time & is used in most of the vehicles Nissan makes. Since it is used in so many vehicles it must make good low rpm torque in order to function properly in heavier cars & trucks. So VQ V6 in the Z with the 6-speed is fun to drive & exhaust sound is 1 of the best available. If you are into boulevard matchups Z car has more bang for your bucks. Porsche is a better sport car but doesn't become obvious until you get it on a track where it's lighter weight,superior suspension & broader torque range outshine the Z car. I would not buy a 350Z because of the huge blindspots, understeering, ride comfort,tilt wheel/IP, interior quality & weight. I'm sure the 370Z is better but I have not been in one.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I'll add another antidote.
did you mean anecdote?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
did you mean anecdote?
Noooo, its the antidote to the japanese car virus
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #27
flybird

Garage
We currently own a 2001 base model Boxster and a 91 MR2 non turbo model. The Toyota is a beautiful looking thought out mid engine classic car but not even close to the Boxster as far as all around performance. Always liked the looks of the Z but never had one. I tell people who ask about the Boxster its the REAL DEAL!
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
Ditto.

Even in my 'poor man' Boxster....often come out to my car at stores to see folks looking/taking pictures of it. My Cayman is a different story all together. People go NUTS over it. You would think I was driving a $100K+ super car.
try driving one to highschool haha... ive had many kids think my 98 with just over 100k miles is a brand new car. when i told someone it was worth around 9k he simply assumed i ment 90k haha.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote