Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Short Shifter Choice

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there's any difference among the Schnell's, B&M, and those $60 Ebay shifters?

Thank you,

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #2

i purchased a cheap ebay one which i am going to fit during the winter spell, and going off some websites and the general looks of the item itself it seems as if they are made by a company called designtek. (i bought mines in the UK)

here is the designtek one;

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod4201/Shift-Linkage-DesignTek-Porsche-996---986---987---997---987C_2_2_2_2/

and here are the ebay ones;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHORT-SHIFTER-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-911-986-996-986-CAYMAN-S-/231113034425?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABoxster&hash=item35cf690ab9&vxp=mtr

look similar huh? and if you look on ebay, people seem to be passing them off as being made by all different manufacturers and charging anywhere between $49 and $259! yet they are all the same anodized blue color?!

i guess someone may chip in here with prior experiances which i cant do until i have it fitted but thats just my opnion on why i purchased a cheap one as opposed to a more expensive, yet very very similar looking one...

Last edited by koosh; 12-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #3

I fitted the cheap one off of ebay in my 2001 S. On the shifter I bought, I had to switch around the shift lever in the housing so that it sits straight up and down when the car is in neutral. I like it and notice no difference between it and the dealer installed short shifter ($800) in my Cayman.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #4

Garage
I'm very interested in the answers you receive on this subject. I'm also very interested in purchasing a short shifter and the cheap ones selling on Ebay have peaked my curiosity. I don't mind paying for quality but I don't want to be a sucker and pay twice as much for basically the same product with just a different brand name stuck on it!
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

i would like to install a short shifter in my boxster . my 996 came with the B&M and I really like it . the ebay one looks like a copy of it . I would also like to know if the ebay one is any good .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

Subscribed, please keep us posted!
alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Garage
I installed the cheap eBay one. Yes you should turn the shifter around to stand straighter.
I bought a stock shifter to convert just in case I didn't like it. It also made the change easier as all work was done before hand. Just simply change out. The B&M instructions are the best and easy to follow.

If anyone is interested I have my stock shifter for sale $30 plus shipping.
Thanks
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Garage
Hard to shift

Installed a short shifter today and am a little worried something went wrong. The shifts have become very hard, moving back to neutral isn't smooth.

Instructions followed to the letter. Shift cables marked and replaced at the exact same positions. Assembly went well.

I do have to say that the short throw is nice and that the shifts are very crisp. Just very hard. Any thoughts?
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDash View Post
Installed a short shifter today and am a little worried something went wrong. The shifts have become very hard, moving back to neutral isn't smooth.

Instructions followed to the letter. Shift cables marked and replaced at the exact same positions. Assembly went well.

I do have to say that the short throw is nice and that the shifts are very crisp. Just very hard. Any thoughts?

The shifter is basically the same, just modified to shorten the throw, which reduces your leverage, requiring more effort from you. Cold weather makes it harder still.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #10

I have tried the copy-cat options twice, two different types from eBay (blue B&m copies).

From my experience they are inferior. Feel great for a while, but the assembly loosened up horribly over time. It apparently has a much sloppier design tolerance. Lots of left to right movement of the stick, before the carrier even moves.
I was going to replace it anyway, so I attempted to disassemble it and rebuild it out of curiosity. I found that the bearing had destroyed itself also (groves and misplaces ball-bearings).

Now looking for a genuine B&M or Porsche..... anyone have a used one?
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #11

I hated the b&m that came with my tt. I switched it out with a 997 shifter and like it better, but may eventually end up with a 997 ssk. I started warming up to the b&m but it was just too much effort to drive all the time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #12

B & M on my base 5 speed for more than 10 years now. I have used it on my other cars also. Nothing like the real thing, shifts great, more direct and precise (tracked car for many years), no vibrations, and did not have to turn knob around because it sits straight after install in neutral.

I wouldn't put anything else in any of my cars.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.k View Post
I have tried the copy-cat options twice, two different types from eBay (blue B&m copies).

From my experience they are inferior. Feel great for a while, but the assembly loosened up horribly over time. It apparently has a much sloppier design tolerance. Lots of left to right movement of the stick, before the carrier even moves.
I was going to replace it anyway, so I attempted to disassemble it and rebuild it out of curiosity. I found that the bearing had destroyed itself also (groves and misplaces ball-bearings).

Now looking for a genuine B&M or Porsche..... anyone have a used one?
That's why I want to change mine. I bought the car used and the shifter came with it. I took it apart the other day and found that there's no washers, which results in the stick wiggling left and right, and the cylindrical bearing pieces were falling out. Not sure if the brand name ones are more solid and sturdy.

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote