Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Rear Speaker Kit

Is this the best price for the rear speaker kit around?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8032959100&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
If I order through eBay there is also no tax. So $198 for a shipped NEW OEM Speaker Kit sounds good enough. Anyone know of a better deal?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Is this the best price for the rear speaker kit around?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8032959100&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
If I order through eBay there is also no tax. So $198 for a shipped NEW OEM Speaker Kit sounds good enough. Anyone know of a better deal?
Hi,

That's one of the best prices I have seen. A couple of tips... make sure you have a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut out the storage bins on the Rear Box, also, a Hot Glue Gun to attach the speakers.

Also, the speakers size is so restricted, that they're not the world's greatest - that's OK, you're in a Convertible. But, you can improve them greatly by adding some Batting behind them, the Storage Box has some cutouts which are ideal. I used Spun Polyester which I got from a PetSmart for $2 (They sell it as Bulk Aquarium Filter Media).

Adding Batting has the same effect as using a bigger enclosure. I stuffed the Batting in behind the speakers and then Hot-glued some 20 mil Plastic sheeting to enclose them, keeps any bugs or moisture out. This makes them sound as good as they can be for just a simple extra step. I'm attaching a pic (from the World's Worst DigiCam) to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #3

Just a caution from hard-won experience... hot melt will, well, melt in that location under the window in the sun. At least go for the high temp hot melt if you use it, but I recommend you find another solution unless you want to hot melt the engine cover carpeting...
Old 02-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Just a caution from hard-won experience... hot melt will, well, melt in that location under the window in the sun. At least go for the high temp hot melt if you use it, but I recommend you find another solution unless you want to hot melt the engine cover carpeting...
Hi,

Although I have not experienced what you're talking about, you do make an excellent point.

I guess if I had to do it over again, after reading your post, I'd go with an epoxy rather than the Hot Melt...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote