Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Can you help?

During this year I have been trying to put together live in-car video streaming from my race car (started out as a project for my 5 year old boy to share the racing action with me). I have all the hardware sorted out and now for the last bit I need to get the web part fixed...

I have looked at a number of options, and it looks like YouTube is the beast one (and as I can understand free), but I need to get at least 100 subscribers to the team channel before they will even give the option to live stream, as you can see here - https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/youtube/youtube-live/0xoKC9YWEyQ

So, can you please help by subscribing to the channel (sorry if this is rude)? https://www.youtube.com/coolcavaracing

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

Asking your fellow forum members to help you out so that your boy can enjoy your hobby with you is definitely not rude - it's what we're here for. I'll subscribe, just need to set up a google account, and I'll do that when I get home from work this evening.

Glad to help out one of Kimi's countrymen!

Last edited by Mark_T; 12-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
2004 Boxster S

DONE! Kippis!

Even if I wasn't half finnish I would have subscribed, but I've also seen your videos before and they're good fun. Happy racing!
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

I'm in. Lets get it on.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

Thank you all for the help and kind words. I will post some more details on the set-up I have built and how I will try to make it all work during the weekend...
Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Subscribed! Watching Boxster racing live from Europe at 3am is ten times better than F1!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #7

Cool, I just checked the YouTube channel and the live stream option has now been made available - now onto the next step in the process. Set-up the hardware and give it a quick test. More info and details to follow.

Thank you all for the help
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Done! I hope you have many years of fantastic memories!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
pjq

Done. Cool!
Is the speed dial MPH or KMPH?
Of the three dials what is the dial on the right indicating?
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
Done. Cool!
Is the speed dial MPH or KMPH?
Of the three dials what is the dial on the right indicating?
Are you asking about the dials in my videos? The speed is recorded in KMH. The one on the right is indicating g-force.

Again, thank you all for the help to get the rating up on YouTube. It must have worked as I now can activate live stream

As I said, this all started at the beginning of the 2013 season. My kids really like to watch the in car video after my races and ask questions about the race and why things happen like they do. After one of the early races this season our boy Elias (5 years old) started asking why he could not come with me to the races and why he could not sit in the car with me whilst I was racing. This with my electronics and computer background got me wanting to do the next best thing - stream the in-car video to him from every race

I had a look at some of the more normal offerings like ustream, but most of them had restrictions or costs that I did not feel happy with.

The only option at the start of the season that I did find that did look like it would work was Bambuser. I was also worried about the broadcasting part and having a good signal. Using just my mobile phone and a good 3G account I tested Bambuser - I was actually impressed with the results - CoolCavaRacing | Bambuser

As you can see in the test videos on Bambuser, cornering can upset the phone when recording and the mount I had was not very stable. I also wanted a solution that did not use my mobile phone (will still need to work on this one)

I did some google searching and found a nice little broadcasting unit for a nice price from Cerevo.

Using my mobile phone as a network access point, I could now stream video from my Racelogic data acquisition system via the cerevo and to the internet using 3G.

Here is the full set-up installed in the car (with some cables still not completed).

But then I hit my first problems - after I had received my Cerevo I could not get it to work as expected. Turns out that the Cerevo can not connect to all types of networks and the one offered by Nokia phones was not supported - I had to get a Windows, Android or Apple phone! I borrowed a Android phone from a friend and managed to get it all working...

This brings us up to the end of the season - yes, took me a full season to sort out this set-up. And all was looking good until Bambuser sent out an email about a month back to say that they are changing the usage - in future free streaming can only be done with their mobile phone app. Therefore if I want to use my set-up I need to pay for a monthly subscription

And this then pulled me to YouTube. During the winter I will do some testing to see how the YouTube works and then the last step in the set-up is to remove the need for my mobile phone and to wire in a 3G or 4G unit to the car.

I will keep you all posted, but if there are any mobile broadcasting or telemetry experts here, then I would appreciate some guidance and advice. But like I said from the start, this is a fun project I started for my kids to share in the racing fun from a safe and relaxing place (I still think a race circuit is not a good place for small kids - home via live stream is much better), so not looking for a professional solution and trying to keep it cost free
Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #11

Garage
Done. Go man go.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
pjq

My vote goes to the you tube streaming, my children keep telling me to relax and sit back, I guess I'm trying to climb into the computer screen!
Bambuser is just ok.
You Tube has the sound and the visual aids,.... if the angle of view was only about 15 degrees wider and if I knew what you were actually doing with the gears, I think i could be right there with you.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

Garage
Subscribed! Looking forward to the video
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
haz

Done! Looks like you have 66 subscribers now.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #15

Actually 67 subscribers now, which is really cool - thank you all...

The car is going to the body shop for some work at the end of the week (details will be posted in my other thread). And whilst it is there I will continue to work on the last bits on the live stream video project components. I am also looking to include additional values to the data logging system which will be included in the video stream.

Will keep you all posted
Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #16

Garage
Subscribed.