Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPHD View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it did inspire me to have a crack at the underside of my old 986. Not perfect, but I think I got off to a decent start.
Ohhh..... you are way past the point of "a decent start". That looks great. Hell, it looks spectacular! It is one thing to polish the exhaust while it sits on the workbench. It is another to be on you back polishing all of that.

That is absolutely beautiful. Nice job.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Ohhh..... you are way past the point of "a decent start". That looks great. Hell, it looks spectacular! It is one thing to polish the exhaust while it sits on the workbench. It is another to be on you back polishing all of that.

That is absolutely beautiful. Nice job.
Thanks Chuck. I shall keep up the good work now the weather is getting better. Not easy when it's your daily driver though, but worth it nonetheless.
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPHD View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it did inspire me to have a crack at the underside of my old 986. Not perfect, but I think I got off to a decent start.

Hi,what tools/polish product did you use? Looks great!! i want to do that to mine.
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomak View Post
Hi,what tools/polish product did you use? Looks great!! i want to do that to mine.
These are the items I use:

And here are some pics I found of what the underside looked like before (took these before I had the IMSB replaced to capture the oil leaks):

First thing I did was degrease using turps and then wash with detergent. The shield cleaned up easily enough but the braces and back box were too corroded so I painted them black.

Lived with that for a few months and then decided to attack it with a flex-drive and combination of wire brushes. The synthetic prep wheel is good for stainless steel parts as it doesn't deposit any ferrous material on the surface which will rust later on. Albright de-oxidiser is also useful for brushing on hard to reach places but leaves a slightly dull finish on the aluminium. Autosol metal polish works best on the back box, struts, sump base and suspension parts. I found a liberal coating of GT85 afterwards prevents corrosion as it leaves a thin layer of teflon. I spray it on everything including the exhaust.

After that just wipe the dirt off once a month, polish the shiny bits with Autosol if you feel like it, and coat with GT85 again. Mine still needs quite a bit of work, but it's better than it was before.

BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote