Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #1

squeek noise when starting engine

Hi to all,
I'm a proud owner of 01 boxster for a month now and I love it. I havent slept cuz I'm always thinking about how i can improve my boxster.
The noise is a squeel or screetch when starting the engine morning or night. It only makes noise for about 1 sec and goes away.
Sometimes it does not make the noise at all. I dont know what it is, can anybody help?

Last edited by leiraaariel; 02-03-2006 at 07:07 PM.
leiraaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #2

If it's coming from the engine compartment, it may be your belt. Get that checked out asap.

PS - For the first month of ownership, I walked out to my garage before bed and then first thing in the morning and opened the garage with my extra remote. I always muttered to myself, "I cannot believe I actually own this car. I'm the luckiest man on my block!"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
If it's coming from the engine compartment, it may be your belt. Get that checked out asap.

PS - For the first month of ownership, I walked out to my garage before bed and then first thing in the morning and opened the garage with my extra remote. I always muttered to myself, "I cannot believe I actually own this car. I'm the luckiest man on my block!"
I know what you mean, It took me years but I finally own one
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #4

Get it checked ASAP; however, it is possible for the dealer to miss the problem.

Getting my annual last June they commented about just such a sound (I had heard it as well) and also a whine on revving (my comment to them). Their advise was to keep listening and should it get worse, bring the car back in.

Turned out to be a pulley on the accessory belt. Froze on a long day trip and I ended up stranded overnight about 125 miles from home. Lucky for me I was still under warrenty and Prosche was great about arranging a tow and repairs; also lucky for me I had friends in the area.

john
2002 Lapis/Grey/Grey S
jdmidyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmidyette
Get it checked ASAP; however, it is possible for the dealer to miss the problem.

Getting my annual last June they commented about just such a sound (I had heard it as well) and also a whine on revving (my comment to them). Their advise was to keep listening and should it get worse, bring the car back in.

Turned out to be a pulley on the accessory belt. Froze on a long day trip and I ended up stranded overnight about 125 miles from home. Lucky for me I was still under warrenty and Prosche was great about arranging a tow and repairs; also lucky for me I had friends in the area.

john
2002 Lapis/Grey/Grey S

Thanks for the valuable info. It feels good I'm not the only one and there is somebody out there who has heard it. I took a look at the belts and they were fine . But when i inspected the engine walls, the foam insulator were peeling off and it was literally resting on the top belts and there was a lot of dust from the constant rubbing. I thought that was the problem , put belt dressing, but when i started the engine it was the same sound, skreeeeech for 1second.

Thanks again, I will take to the mechanic and pay an arm and a leg just for the priviledge of diagnosing my car.. (joke)

Have a good superbowl weekend