Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I'm a believer in personal accountability. If you choose to buy a "dangerous" car, without stability controls, that's on you, not the manufacturer.

I don't undeerstand how people get large payouts for on-track accidents of any sort. When you enter any such event, you assume responsibility, even for other driver's boneheaded moves.
+ 1

As tragic as it is, same goes for personal accountability for getting in any car as a passenger. trust is great, but doesn't absolve you of the responsibility for your own actions. Meaning, Paul Walker would be alive today if he just said "No thanks".

I remember the controversy and limits when motorcycles were required to not exceed a specific horsepower per CC. Or even the requirement to were a helmet if you ride a motorcycle (I always did and felt anyone that didn't wear a helmet had no right to complain about the injury they received when their head hit the pavement). I don't see ANY difference in this than a high performance car without traction control.

Legislation and limits are not the answer. Personal responsibility is. Most people will not assume responsibility for their own actions. It's somethings else that is the cause, someone else is he cause, etc. For my view, it's simple, from the day you are born it's about choice. You make your choices and accept the responsibility for them.

It is not the manufacture's responsibility as they did not force you to buy it. You made a choice to buy it (whatever it is) and use it. Similar to the the old adage ... "It's not guns that kill people. It's people that kill people."

Old 12-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
"It's not guns that kill people. It's people that kill people."
People don't kill people, do they?! Doesn't sound natural with our instinct anyway.....

I live in a country where any sort of weapon is highly prohibited and nobody dies mate. 1.4billion and growing healthy
Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #103

Taking responsibility means 'suffering' is involved and north americans are taught that 'there are ways around that'- like drugs, for example. Maturity has never been so scarce.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #104

Maturity = no thanks
Common Sense = yes
Experience = yes
Sport cars = Yes!
Race bikes = Yes!
Drugs = old school

Back on topic, I'd be interested to know what's written in little characters on that Dealer's release contract when you sign-off a purchase on a 'performance' street-legal vehicle - such as a CGT. Anybody knows?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #105

Quote:
+ 1

As tragic as it is, same goes for personal accountability for getting in any car as a passenger. trust is great, but doesn't absolve you of the responsibility for your own actions. Meaning, Paul Walker would be alive today if he just said "No thanks".

I remember the controversy and limits when motorcycles were required to not exceed a specific horsepower per CC. Or even the requirement to were a helmet if you ride a motorcycle (I always did and felt anyone that didn't wear a helmet had no right to complain about the injury they received when their head hit the pavement). I don't see ANY difference in this than a high performance car without traction control.

Legislation and limits are not the answer. Personal responsibility is. Most people will not assume responsibility for their own actions. It's somethings else that is the cause, someone else is he cause, etc. For my view, it's simple, from the day you are born it's about choice. You make your choices and accept the responsibility for them.

It is not the manufacture's responsibility as they did not force you to buy it. You made a choice to buy it (whatever it is) and use it. Similar to the the old adage ... "It's not guns that kill people. It's people that kill people."
Yeah, you're probably right. When you get paralyzed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you should accept personal responsibility and realize that you chose to drive on that street at that time and if you would have taken a different route you would not have been injured. Too bad for you. Or when you are electrocuted by a defective toaster you should accept the responsibility that it was your decision to have toast with your eggs and just live with the consequences. Or when you are poisoned by tainted chicken, just accept the responsibility and realize you should have eaten beef. I guess in your perfect world it would always be the fault of the person who is injured or killed. After all, they could have made a different decision. I'm just glad I don't live in your world.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #106

Ethics, chance and the law- hmmn. We're gett'in down to it now.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #107
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linklaw View Post
Yeah, you're probably right. When you get paralyzed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you should accept personal responsibility and realize that you chose to drive on that street at that time and if you would have taken a different route you would not have been injured. Too bad for you. Or when you are electrocuted by a defective toaster you should accept the responsibility that it was your decision to have toast with your eggs and just live with the consequences. Or when you are poisoned by tainted chicken, just accept the responsibility and realize you should have eaten beef. I guess in your perfect world it would always be the fault of the person who is injured or killed. After all, they could have made a different decision. I'm just glad I don't live in your world.
I realize that this stuff hits pretty close to home for you Link and I am certain that Walker's attorneys will win a significant settlement from both Rodas estate and Porsche. From all the preliminary evidence it looks like they were going roughly 100 mph over the speed limit on that street. Any time you are 100 over and you hit a fixed object, bad things happen. I suspect that this car did not get there by itself and it could have easily been any high performance sports car. Someone had to pull the trigger and at this point it looks like Rodas.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #108
Beginner

Garage
You right wing nutcase lunatics drive me crazy!!! Personal responsibility, Bah! Dont you get it? So exactly who put a parking lot NEAR A TREE!!!! Who sold concrete to make a surface that was easy to go fast on IN A PARKING LOT!!! Who made the gasoline with the energy in it to propel the car, with NO regard how it might be used?!?!?!?!? MY GOD! THINK OF THE BABY HARP SEALS!!! Who planted the tree? Did they have money? Don't even get me started on the car company, I KNOW they have money. Somebody has to pay , and pay big, right? That's justice, and there isn't any justice until a lawyer gets paid. Oh yeah, and as an aside, Paul Walker is still dead, so is Nelson Mandela, so lets all just move along, nothing to see here...
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #109
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
You right wing nutcase lunatics drive me crazy!!! Personal responsibility, Bah! Dont you get it? So exactly who put a parking lot NEAR A TREE!!!! Who sold concrete to make a surface that was easy to go fast on IN A PARKING LOT!!! Who made the gasoline with the energy in it to propel the car, with NO regard how it might be used?!?!?!?!? MY GOD! THINK OF THE BABY HARP SEALS!!! Who planted the tree? Did they have money? Don't even get me started on the car company, I KNOW they have money. Somebody has to pay , and pay big, right? That's justice, and there isn't any justice until a lawyer gets paid. Oh yeah, and as an aside, Paul Walker is still dead, so is Nelson Mandela, so lets all just move along, nothing to see here...
Hmmmm, sounds more like left-wing, nut case, lunatic, guns kill everyone by themselves magically, let's protect everyone from everything with MORE LAWS, big settlements send messages, thinking.....

Maybe leave politics out of this? Is this Obama's fault or the fault of the person driving wreckless?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I realize that this stuff hits pretty close to home for you Link and I am certain that Walker's attorneys will win a significant settlement from both Rodas estate and Porsche. From all the preliminary evidence it looks like they were going roughly 100 mph over the speed limit on that street. Any time you are 100 over and you hit a fixed object, bad things happen. I suspect that this car did not get there by itself and it could have easily been any high performance sports car. Someone had to pull the trigger and at this point it looks like Rodas.
I really don't believe that car was going 100 mph at the point of impact. This wasn't a normal car, it was an as close to racing car as you may ever see short of something like the P1. Such a car hitting anything at 100 mph would have disintegrated. People forget that most of that damage was done by the fire after the crash. And indeed the fire left it a rubble but the wheels were still attached to that car and the tub looked to be relatively whole, the occupants still strapped in. I said it from the start, the impact did not kill both of those guys, this was a survivable crash for at least one of the guys. The one who didn't take the brunt of the light pole impact the door side.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #111
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I really don't believe that car was going 100 mph at the point of impact. This wasn't a normal car, it was an as close to racing car as you may ever see short of something like the P1. Such a car hitting anything at 100 mph would have disintegrated. People forget that most of that damage was done by the fire after the crash. And indeed the fire left it a rubble but the wheels were still attached to that car and the tub looked to be relatively whole, the occupants still strapped in. I said it from the start, the impact did not kill both of those guys, this was a survivable crash for at least one of the guys. The one who didn't take the brunt of the light pole impact the door side.
I don't believe the 100mph thing either. 45 is closer.

At 100+ that car would have continued into those shops!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #112

Quote:
+ 1

That's all true, those guys exercised free will in getting into a inherently dangerous car.

But this isn't an analog issue. You're certainly welcomed to put all of the blame on one party but I think that's a little too convenient for Porsche's sake. Everyone knows that high powered sports cars are dangerous, but does everyone know when they are in a yet higher level of danger because of safety compromises made for the sake of profit?

They exercised extremely poor judgment in selling this car as a production road car without taking some life-saving precautions. For starters they knew well ahead of the release that this car was not for novices yet no qualification was needed. They had every reason to believe that this car behaves like so many illegal for the street racing cars, and that sooner or later someone would turn the car into a heap. They recently acknowledged with the GT3 launch in press interviews that safety was prime motivation for moving to electric steering of high performance car, the old school steering fluid is highly flamable in the event of crash a simple spark could turn it into fireball. Yet they still chose to have the CGT fuel tank that close to the drivers, and still chose not to add some flavor of stability management or recalibration of the engine/throttle to make it more docile in green hands. This is a recipe for an accident that is survivable but the occupant(s) still get burned to death.

Did Paul Walker know he could be burned alive because of the peculiar crash-worthiness of this car? We'll never know.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-13-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #113

I can't say that I agree in the least with any of those statements...

people purchase these cars for attention and to some level, the inherent danger in driving them. They want them to feel as raw and visceral as possible. They will continue to do so whether or not they have the driving skills to pilot such a vehicle or not and I do not think it is up to the government or the car companies to decide if you have the "right stuff" to own an exotic of this level. Truth be told, lots of kit cars built by amateurs are probably just as dangerous and even more poorly engineered and I do not believe anyone is complaining about them. The car could probably use some form of traction/stability control but then it would be another computer guided missle like the GTR. The fact is the CGT is one of a dying breed of true super cars. How many times have people trash talked the F-40 because it is so primal...they do not because that is what makes it so unique.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #114
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'm sure we will find out soon enough. A back-of-a-napkin calculation of the forces required to break off the starter motor and hurl it 120' into a second story office window suggests 100mph+ to me... but I could be wrong.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #115

I certainly don't want anyone telling what I can or can not buy. Porsches fault? Give me a break. You can do as much or more damage with guns, speed boats, wave runners, motorcycles. I'm almost certain that if it was in our price range and available more than half of the guys on this fórum would have the same car in their garage .
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #116
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanque55 View Post
I certainly don't want anyone telling what I can or can not buy. Porsches fault? Give me a break. You can do as much or more damage with guns, speed boats, wave runners, motorcycles. I'm almost certain that if it was in our price range and available more than half of the guys on this fórum would have the same car in their garage .
Yes. Yes I would.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #117

Amen to that...

I would pay someone to drive it for me I think so I could drive behind it just to hear the exhaust note. (the engine sounds good from the inside too but the exhaust....) Better yet, I might just buy two of them so I could chase the other one and listen to the exhaust note or buy a mountain with a tunnel cut through it.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I'm sure we will find out soon enough. A back-of-a-napkin calculation of the forces required to break off the starter motor and hurl it 120' into a second story office window suggests 100mph+ to me... but I could be wrong.
I'm in total agreement, 45 mph is completely laughable.

Here's a video of a pair of Carrera GT's screaming around the streets somewhere in Cali, watch how easily they break traction. Imagine how quickly they could bite you in the arse, they would without a doubt be a handful to drive. The sound they put out is indeed intoxicating but watching these two clowns drive them through city traffic like that is pretty poor form.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #119

They are sure driving like a bunch of asshats. Easy to see how quick one can lose it in this car. In this video if they had lost control it would be total their responsibility. I could see that being the case in Paul's situation. If your cruising at 45 and hit it for a couple seconds your going to be going pretty fast.

The traffic in this video reminds of why I no longer live in LA. Lasts time I was out there I was driving my E55 and I felt like a gorilla caged up. All the power but no way to use it.

Funny, the exhaust from the CGT made my dogs go ballistic.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #120

Wow. When the video started both my dog and cat went crazy.

linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote