Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #1

Tiptonic Blinking "4" & "P"

I am new to this forum but I have been reading it quick extensively for the past month or two before I put my money down on a 2001 S with Tiptronic 2 weeeks ago. Initially thinking going for a 987 base model but found this "S" at a reasonable price and with only 60K KM on it.

Anyway, it is my first Porshe and so far I enjoy it very much. The car seems to run fine and I specially enjoy the sound with the top down (yes, my first convertable as well).

However, today I found the "4th" gear and "P" light blinking whenever I put the car in "D" and "M". I did some search and found people with blinking "4" or blinking "D". Anyone has experince on blinking "4" and "P"?

Thx in adv

KuaiThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #2

Not a good sign, I recall reading somewhere in the user manual that this happens when the transmission goes into fail safe mode to protect itself from further damage.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #3

I would try a service on it and see what's going on. Pelican has an Tech article on it. I did mine with no problem. It could low on fluid too, which is not good. By draining the oil, removing the pan you can see in the bottom of the pan you can then judge by the debrie if any the damage. Mine had a fair amount of sludge in the bottom but did not effect the trans. There are 4 magnets that collect metal, mine had just a little or a touch, again not bad. Mine was low, at least 2 liters, not that's not good. Let us know what you find. I saw some Tips on ebay some time back, just in case.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Problem solved

In case someone else has the same issue my local shop replaced the gear selection switch and problem solve.
KuaiThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuaiThunder View Post
In case someone else has the same issue my local shop replaced the gear selection switch and problem solve.
Crap, forgot to mention that one. Saw someone posted something similar last year here. Great since that's cheaper than having to buy a Tip.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

My 2001 Boxster S tiptronic has been throwing a P0710 code. This is indicated first by my transmission selector lights flashing alternately between D and 4. Otherwise the transmission behaves normally, shifting up and down, in both auto and manual modes (not in "limp mode"). Information on this is sketchy. My durametric tells me that the code (P0710) is a Transmission temperature sensor fault. Now that there's snow on the ground I am dropping the engine and trans out and hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this.

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issue , light , problem , tiptronic