Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Air Bag Light - Need a lead

After researching, I have a two theories on the cause and would appreciate some advice on where to start.

Theory 1 - A few weeks ago I had the common horn issue, went from intermittent over bumps to continuous for a few minuted before stopping. I plan to check the fuse, relay, and address the bracket as needed. I have not pulled the airbag to access the bracket yet.

Theory 2 - Last weekend I did a lot of maintenance, including drive belt replacement, that required me to move both seats back and forth several times. The light did NOT come on directly after this maintenance.

The light came on with my wife in the passenger seat on startup and she was fidgeting with the seat adjustment just prior to start up.

Initially I was thinking it was related to the horn, but after looking at the photos, I doubt it and think it's related to a connection for the seat belt release on the passenger side. I read about and cleaned both seat belt contacts and also read about the TSB on the grounding.

I just looked under the seat and see a "bunch of wires". If theory 2 is more likely, what are some specific connections to check, and ways to check that the necessary connections are being made. I don't have the ability to reset the light so I'd like to have some level of confidence that it is address before going to my Indy and asking him to read and reset. Thanks!

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
After researching, I have a two theories on the cause and would appreciate some advice on where to start.

Theory 1 - A few weeks ago I had the common horn issue, went from intermittent over bumps to continuous for a few minuted before stopping. I plan to check the fuse, relay, and address the bracket as needed. I have not pulled the airbag to access the bracket yet.

Theory 2 - Last weekend I did a lot of maintenance, including drive belt replacement, that required me to move both seats back and forth several times. The light did NOT come on directly after this maintenance.

The light came on with my wife in the passenger seat on startup and she was fidgeting with the seat adjustment just prior to start up.

Initially I was thinking it was related to the horn, but after looking at the photos, I doubt it and think it's related to a connection for the seat belt release on the passenger side. I read about and cleaned both seat belt contacts and also read about the TSB on the grounding.

I just looked under the seat and see a "bunch of wires". If theory 2 is more likely, what are some specific connections to check, and ways to check that the necessary connections are being made. I don't have the ability to reset the light so I'd like to have some level of confidence that it is address before going to my Indy and asking him to read and reset. Thanks!
Not sure what happened to cause the problem unless the connector came a little loose as the seat was being moved. I would remove the seat and double check the connector is seated right. I can send you a picture of the underside of mine if you need. I would disconnect the battery, though at this point the air bag light is already on. I do agree it would be nice to not have it reset and then just come right back on.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #3

My air bag light has come on several times over the years. Each time the diagnostic computer indicated that the problem was with the passenger seat belt receptacle. After turning the air bag light off, the light stayed out each time for a year or two without me changing out the receptacle.

If you have a Durametric, turn the light off and see what happens. I've never looked but the cable may even tell you what caused the fault. Of you don't have a cable, an independent should have one or at least a computer capable of turning off the light. Takes 15 minutes or less to run the diagnosis.

Last edited by thom4782; 10-18-2013 at 03:50 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Garage
Had a similar issue with my 99 ..light on no fault codes........and since I have cleaned and retightened both seat ground wires the light has not returned.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I am getting my Durametric today and will try to address it this weekend.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #6

To finish the story, I did buy a Durametric and the error was for the driver side belt. I believe it was due to moving the seats back and forth while access the engine and related to the well documented grounding issue. As others have reported, I reset the error and it has not repeated. New task added to Porsche todo list, upgrade seat belt grounds and replace buckles.