Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #1

Radio confusion

I have an 03 with CDR23, amp in frunk, door and dash speakers. I’ve spent hours searching to try and determine what it is. There’s no Bose stickers, and have no idea if it’s a MOST system, which I believe is a fiber optic type? Are all 03s of this system?
This all started with looking to install a double din, but crutchfield tells me it won’t work with this amp, and I’d have to run new speaker wires, or tap into them at the amp. I don’t want to cut the amp harness so trying to find a work around.
Can someone please educate me?

Spizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
You have the MOST system which uses fiber optic to connect to the amp, correct.

MOST adapter

Bergvill has an adapter that's (mostly) plug & play to retain the original amp with an aftermarket radio. While I've not used that particular product, I've bought other items, adapters, and services from Bergvill F/X with great results.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #3

Apt timing as I am confused on this also.

I have a 2003 S with CDR23 and a CDC-4 in the frunk. I get a protect error regularly now. If the car has been left for a few hours there is no problem as the system has gone to "sleep" and wakes up OK from what I can gather. If I turn it off and restart then no radio.

I have looked in the frunk and cannot see an Amp, its a non bose with only the speakers in the dash. I pulled the head unit out last summer and there is a fibre optic. I need to investigate closer but I wonder if I don't have the Amp are my speakers connected directly to the head unit and the fibre optic is the comms to the CDC-4.

Does every car have an Amp or maybe they didn't?? If not a head unit swap might be straightforward for me? I suspect the protect error is being caused by eh CDC-4 as it shuffles CD's like playing cards but won't play anything so reckon its passed its best before date.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks for that Deserion, much appreciated. My only reservation is Bervill stating they’ve experienced some incompatibility issues on some models, but I’m willing to gamble and give it a try.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Does every car have an Amp or maybe they didn't?? If not a head unit swap might be straightforward for me? I suspect the protect error is being caused by eh CDC-4 as it shuffles CD's like playing cards but won't play anything so reckon its passed its best before date.
Amp should be just rear of the spare tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzy
Thanks for that Deserion, much appreciated. My only reservation is Bervill stating they’ve experienced some incompatibility issues on some models, but I’m willing to gamble and give it a try.
Give Tore (Bergvill) an email, he's generally very helpful in answering questions. The incompatibility could be with the Bose system.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Amp should be just rear of the spare tire.

Give Tore (Bergvill) an email, he's generally very helpful in answering questions. The incompatibility could be with the Bose system.
Just had a look. I took off the spare and uncliped the CDC-4. I cant see an amp.

I have the fibre optics cable to changer and back to head unit and then a connector with 4 cables but can't see an amp. Nothing in by the battery or washer bottle either.

See pics for ref, have I missed it? How big is it?

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Mine is in the space to the left of your cd changer.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzy View Post
Mine is in the space to the left of your cd changer.
I must have an invisible one. I will pull the head unit and see what's there.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
One thing to do is replace everything, it’s cheap. My friend has 2008 and changed out everything. A stereo is power to the head and amp and wiring to the speakers. Double din with after market amp in the frunk and wired to door, dash and storage behind your head. Less than a grand in equipment and great sound. Phone integration, back up cam, and remote. #boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #10

Quote:
I must have an invisible one. I will pull the head unit and see what's there.

It looks like you don't have an amp, which is quite possible. I bought my 2003 S new. It came only with the CDR 23 radio and the 2 speakers in the dash. That was the 2003 standard before any options - No amp, no rear speakers, no door speakers. I subsequently installed the rear speaker kit using the Porsche dealer kit and the Pelican Parts article. How many speakers do you have? It looks like the CD player in the trunk was another stand-alone option or something that the dealer could install if not included at the factory.

But even if you don't have any amp, you still have the MOST is the least system!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #11

I pulled the head unit to have a look. It has a parrot 3100 phone kit also that doesn't work.

Here are a few pics of the wiring.

The yellow C is the CAN bus connection for wake , keycode etc.

The green D is the phone integration so that can be ignored.

The middle one B appears to be the speakers but I have only the two in the dashboard. No door or sub. So I would only need the FL and FR wires on this to be connected.

The bottom A seems to be power, antenna 12v and terminal 39 and 31. Not sure if they are all needed.

There is another thread on the forum showing a Pioneer which can be set to any colour and uses your smartphone as a touchscreen for it. At €100 it seems like an ideal candidate.
https://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/pioneer-sph-10bt-smartphone-receiver

So if I have direct access to the speakers then can I oboe the MOST? The CD changer doesn't work so it can be disconnected. CAN bus would not be that critical if I took a wake signal from something else but maybe it could be used?

From what I can see it might be a little fiddly but not that difficult and should be possible with a wiring kit that lets me keep original writing intact to put original back in down the line of needed.

Am I missing something important or is it that straight forward. Basically the MOST seems irrelevant in this case unless it does something else I have missed.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Bought and plugged in. Preliminary tests are all good. Just need a switched live, wire in the mic and button it all back up.

Sound is better than before but I will mod the rear storage box and fit two 4 x 6 rear speakers over the winter.

Overall very straightforward, guess that's a major plus of a non Bose car.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Sound is better than before but I will mod the rear storage box and fit two 4 x 6 rear speakers over the winter.
Traco, I am curious to know your experience with the pioneer receiver. I am working on the back speakers first but that is the receiver I am thinking to get as a replacement for the original radio. The reviews I had read for the 10BT are kind of mixed.
2022 Polestar 2 - Void… Black (Daily driver)
GustaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustaGo View Post
Traco, I am curious to know your experience with the pioneer receiver. I am working on the back speakers first but that is the receiver I am thinking to get as a replacement for the original radio. The reviews I had read for the 10BT are kind of mixed.
Will do - didn't have much time over the weekend as as I was doing some stuff on one of Stuttgart's other offerings.

Spent a while looking for a switched 12V and had a look at the non working Parrot car kit. Decided it was for the bin so spent about 2 hours trying to get it all out and chasing wires. I hate wires going no where, they should have a purpose or not be there. Eventually got it out and I think I will use the switched 12V that was used for it, it has an inline fuse holder fitted at the fuse box so a handy solder in.

I'm a little concerned though that the tap might drain the battery as it has 600mV on it with ignition off. I'll try it an see. If I think its a problem I will move it back at the fuse box as I have left the cable long.

Just need to fish up the cable and the microphone. I think I will mount that on the steering column. Its not very visible but a better location than the OEM place. I can move it again if I think it looks naff but its not very noticeable. Should be all done by the weekend.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Current drain is measured in amps, so that 600mV means nothing.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Current drain is measured in amps, so that 600mV means nothing.
Fair point and technically correct but I'd prefer if it was 0V l. The fact that there is a voltage creates a potential for a current to flow.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustaGo View Post
GustaGo, I have it installed and all buttoned up. Initial impressions are positive. The sound is definitely better than the old CDR 23 I had in there. Hook up was straight forward. I didn't have an announcement so speaker wires were there and the supplied harness connected perfectly. I just needed to provide a switched 12v

The fit is good and the colours can be set in the app. The orange looks fine in the car but the pics funny reflect the actual look. I turned off the blue underneath for when the app is connected so theyb are now orange also.

The app gives good control but I need to play with it more. Saved some radio stations, made a hands free call and linked Spotify. All works as expected. I was looking at the app last night without the car and connecting today took a few attempts but when I installed it in had it on and off several times and it started perfectly so I assume it may be to do with using it not connected.

The unit fits well, seems well made. The black fascia and surround is glossy compared to the rest of the interior but not very noticeable. The holder opens up in front of the climate control do not a fan of that but I have a flip case so it won't hold my phone anyway. I just mount it on the original OEM holder down by the storage bins in the center.

Overall I'm happy with it. Need to use it for a while now to give a proper user report but overall no regrets at this stage. Total cost was €115 including the Games antenna adaptor.

Some pics for ref, the large orange lights on the bottom indicate the app is connected

Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #18

Nice looking install!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #19

Garage
Great job! I think it looks similar to the overall original look. I just wish Pioneer’s will create a “matte black” frame instead of the shiny one.

For my side, I finished installing the back speakers and I am still trying to decide for this unit and keep it simple or go for one with a full screen and Expend the weekend installing it.

Thanks for sharing!
2022 Polestar 2 - Void… Black (Daily driver)
GustaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #20

I have a 2000 base and just installed a double din ( alpine ilx650) and used RCA cables straight to the factory amp. Crutchfield sent everything I needed. Only issue I had was getting a tap to the park brake to get to the settings screen. grounded switch and all is good.

SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote