Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

For you smartphone/mp3 music listeners

This is for those of you who plug in your phones into the Boxster's stereo via an aux jack. Or folks like me who have a really loud exhaust and use the radio to cover over the drone during top up seasons. Altough I'm not an audiophile, (I don't even own a stereo at home) I recently upgraded my headphones to the very poplular Audio Technica M50's and decided to run a small headphone amp to it from FiiO for $50. It's about the size of a large matchbook. Huge improvement. Sound is subjective and depends on the sort of music you listen to so I'll leave it at that.
I have a Android phone by the way, but iPhone people can use a 3.5mm lin out adapter (pic below) to bypass any "loading" so that you get a much less mudled sound.

Naturally I tested it in the car since I'm always running audio phone apps to the stereo like XM Sirius, Amazon, Songza, etc.
Big difference in sound as well. For $50 it's well worth a shot if you're not into plunking down big money to improve the car's stock audio equipment. I think I have the touring package on my Boxsters which I believe came with some audio improvements and I added rear shelf speakers when I first bought the car. But overall I think you can go louder without all the distortion. I tested Black Keys and Kid Cudi and both genres sounded much better. As a tip, raise the stereo to no more than 80% and then control the volume from the amp's volum knob.

I initially started out with the FiiO E11 (picture above) for ~$50 on Amazon but decided to give the higher end units a shot. One is the E12 ($100-$130) made with Mont Blanc casing and a much, much better battery but its bigger. The smaller E11 won't go a full day but is perfect to keep in the car ready to plug into your phone.

And I also have the E18 ($160) for Android devices which is similar to the E12 but has a beast of a battery at 3,500 mAh's (3x's the battery in an newer iPhone). FiiO give you these handly elastic bands to strap the amp to the back of the phone. Some people stick velcro to the back are of the phone's cover.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-12-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote