Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Obsessive Thoughts: A Darker Side of OCD

Obsessive Thoughts: A Darker Side of OCD - Olivia Loving - The Atlantic

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Being a GD forum, I'll weigh in.

My mom is OCD. She is a Hoarder and a checker. I grew up in a home where the halls were lined on both sides with boxes so high we had to keep shimming them to keep them up. Since as early as I can remember. Every flat surface was piled high with every school paper my bro or I ever did, and all the clothes we ever wore, and every slim fast can from 1979 that she drank up. Two old refrigerators one in house and in the garage that "just needed a compressor". New fridge stayed in garage so we could keep the old ones. I never had a friend over, and will never forget the horror of friends of mine seeing in my house and knowing it was a giant freak show mess. Every room, almost 2/3 high. Just a bed and stuff.

Then checking. We could be 20 minutes from home, and she would insist my dad drive us back so she could check the front door one more time by pushing against the dead bolt and turning the locked knob 5-7 times again. She could not drive. Imagine all the stuff to check, besides the other traffic, and did I start / stop / lock it??

I am very sad for her. I was last out in 2008 or so and it was just as bad. My wife had to wait outside while I went in to fix a faucet.

Add my dad's nightly 6-pack of Michelobe to that, and well, that's just how it was.

I love them both. Crazy as my mom is, and as odd as my dad can be. He has A-fib from a valve problem and I had to drive to Washington to help him out of 6 days in intensive because his diet is chocolate cake and hot sauce. WTF???

Point is, not sure of your motive for posting, if you need help or want to talk, IM or email or post. If it's a look at the freaks thing, these people have children and families that still love them, and wish they would accept help.

Tim
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Being a GD forum, I'll weigh in.

Tim
All I can say is wow. It sounds like you survived and are living a normal life. Thanks for sharing that.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #4

Tim - Great post. Thanks for sharing.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Nice one Tim

Thanks for sharing and putting this thread back into perspective. It really needed it.

Regards to all of you there mate