Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Accident damage:(

Hey guys need some advice. My neighbor just backed his truck into my quarter panel does this look like a bad area to try and repair? I drove around the block and there is a little wobble in that wheel and you can see a wear line along the outer edge of the tire. I fear there could be some suspension damage maybe. bad day.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Not cool.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

Can't say if it is a bad area to repair, but there are a lot of potential suspension components that could have been damaged. it may not be safe to drive. Why not just call your insurance company and let them figure it out. I would not drive it until they stop by and check it out. Maybe get it towed for a damage estimate.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Actually, call the neighbor's insurance company, since they're the ones it will be paying for the repair. They will send and adjuster out, someone who knows about this stuff, to have a look at it. Then, take it to the body shop or the dealership and let them give you a real number, which you will then use to negotiate with the neighbor's insurance company, since the adjuster has never evaluated damage to a Porsche before. These things are negotiable, however, so don't panic. Just stand your ground. Your neighbor is in the wrong, not you.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I hope he was over for beers and just made a simple mistake . Sorry about the bang up.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

That looks like about $7,000 - $8,000 in damage if repaired at the dealer. If there's suspension/frame damage, oh boy.

Go to the dealer and ask for repair estimate from a shop they work with. Send that estimate to their insurance company for payment direclty to you, and NOT the dealer. The neighbohr's insurance will pay you for new parts for each any every affected part. They will send you a check.
Then it will be up to you to decide if you want to pay the dealer rate or negotiate these repairs with another respected body shop. Chalk up any savings towards the diminished value because you're car may now have a red flag on the carfax.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Is just getting it towed to a Porsche dealership the best thing to do..
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Yeah, they need to see the extent of the suspension damage. The bodyshop will give you their take on the cosmetic.

Hopefully you just have a really weird new alignment with some new control arms on the way. Although the impact looks a bit too high up for it to be too bad. Did your car move from its place at all?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

No the impact didn't move the car at all. I drove the car at low speed and it did seem a bit wobbly
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Chalk up any savings towards the diminished value because you're car may now have a red flag on the carfax.
Depending on your state you may be eligible for some cash for your diminished value due to the accident but you have to ask.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

FWIW, never deal directly with someone else's insurance company. They are truly out there for your satisfaction. That's your insurance company's job. You are almost always better off getting your insurance company to take care of the repairs to your satisfaction, then your company can seek restitution from the other company. Only downside is paying the deductible then waiting for a refund and potential rate hikes. It's never happened to me that way, but it has happened to others from what I have heard.

Other than that, I too would suggest going to a Porsche recommended body shop that will use Porsche replacement parts.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

Both he and I have AAA insurance he wants us to go together to our local office tomorrow
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your trouble man, not cool and bad day indeed.

Nothing to worry about your suspension (lol).... it's not like you would have hit a tree in the middle of the night or anything. A stray basketball can do the same damage on thin foil like the 986's panels.... ask me how I know!

If your neighbor has insurance, changing the panel would be a far better option than trying to pull it out and filling it with bondo. < $3000 at the dealer, 2 days job. excluding the 2 weeks wait for the panel to show up.

Just make sure nothing rubs on the rear tire before taking it out for a spin. You'll and the car will be just fine mate
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
FWIW, never deal directly with someone else's insurance company. They are truly out there for your satisfaction. That's your insurance company's job. You are almost always better off getting your insurance company to take care of the repairs to your satisfaction, then your company can seek restitution from the other company. Only downside is paying the deductible then waiting for a refund and potential rate hikes. It's never happened to me that way, but it has happened to others from what I have heard.

Other than that, I too would suggest going to a Porsche recommended body shop that will use Porsche replacement parts.
Umm, no. I've dealt direct with their company and unless you have some injuries then do it through their company, don't put a pay out or claim on your ins, and you get to have say over what parts and how they are fixed. If I had not done that myself I would not have come out ahead as I did I my accident. And what's all this he wants to go to AAA together?? One call to claims, they send tow truck or you drive to where you want the car fixed, and done. Why haggle? If he wants to save $$, he can agree to cover any and all costs, not file the calm, then you can use your own insurance if you wish.

He hit you. He has insurance. Don't lift a finger besides to point to where the paint didn't turn out perfect.

Also, demand a bump up in rental car. They tried to give me some Chevy Lumina and I said "but I dropped off a Porsche!!" And they gave me a very nice upgrade mid SUV no charge.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #15

FWIW...

About 10 years ago, a large tree branch fell on my car as I was driving down the street. All body panels except for the drivers door and the windshield were damaged to some extent. I was in California and had AAA insurance. They were extremely fair, no hassles whatsoever, and paid in full the bill at a high end body shop.

Hopefully, AAA service is the same or even better today and you'll be back on the road in no time.

Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #16

Thanks for all the advice guys-love the forum.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #17

Looks almost identical to mine, same color even. Dealer estimate was $3500. Given my situation, I had it fixed at a local shop for under $700 and am very happy with the outcome. No insight on the possible mechanical damage....hope it work out...
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #18

First off, if you can avoid it, do not get your own company involved, as then it shows as a claim on your loss record (regardless of who winds up actually paying for what).

Second, you should always make a claim for diminished value. How hard you have to fight for that will vary, of course. The last one I had, which involved a hotel valet, I had to sue the hotel for damages because their bottom of the barrel insurance company wanted to repair the car with used and/or "reconditioned" parts and offered me $100 for diminished value. Of course, it certainly helped when they didn't even show up for court so I won in 5 minutes LOL

As to your car, I doubt you have any suspension damage, though it's going to be a bit of a messy repair to pull that quarter out, and it will leave the car with a lessened value (since it wasn't just a bumper, for instance).
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
First off, if you can avoid it, do not get your own company involved, as then it shows as a claim on your loss record (regardless of who winds up actually paying for what).

Second, you should always make a claim for diminished value. How hard you have to fight for that will vary, of course. The last one I had, which involved a hotel valet, I had to sue the hotel for damages because their bottom of the barrel insurance company wanted to repair the car with used and/or "reconditioned" parts and offered me $100 for diminished value. Of course, it certainly helped when they didn't even show up for court so I won in 5 minutes LOL

As to your car, I doubt you have any suspension damage, though it's going to be a bit of a messy repair to pull that quarter out, and it will leave the car with a lessened value (since it wasn't just a bumper, for instance).
Still insist on an alignment at a minimum. They will certainly not deny that. Maybe even have that rim checked for straightness?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #20

Yes I am definitely going to insist on a mechanical inspection of the car for that wheel, tire, alignment, and my mechanic said to definitely check the strut mount.