Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Kur

Wheezing water pump

Hello guys.
My Boxster (2.5l, 1999) has developed a wheezing noise a few days ago. It's not unlike boiling water and initially it was pretty faint but now I believe it's become a bit louder and more frequent (or I'm just a bit paranoid). I went to my mechanic and by using a stethoscope he located it to be coming from within the water pump. However he told me I shouldn't be too bothered about it and keep driving it until I can no longer stand the noise. :ah:
So my first question is this really so or I better change it as soon as possible.
My second one is if anyone has had any experience with 'Circoli' brand water pumps which retail for only like 75 UK pounds or I better go for an OEM one which is double this price and which is apparently considered better then the genuine Porsche one.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Kur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Kur

Sorry, forgot to mention that we didn't identify any signs of leakage and that I haven't topped up with water for many months (although currently the level is close to minimum, let's say it's lost 200-300g in 6 months.)
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #3

Don't cheap out on the coolant pump - there's some pretty ordinary pieces of low quality equipment out there which will trip you up sooner rather than later.
Considering the fact that the coolant pump is so important, why would you not go for a genuine Porsche item?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #4

I would not agree with your mechanic's assessment. If the water pump is giving signs, listen to them and change it. There are a lot of Boxster owners changing their pumps pre-emptively every 4 or 5 years to avoid the potential damage resulting from a failure, as it is a known issue with these cars.

There has been quite a bit posted on this topic in the forum. I would suggest you do a search and read up on the issue. It could save your engine.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Try checking exhaust pipes and manifolds for missing bolts or leaks. I have a funny sound and found a missing bolt on exhaust manifold. An exhaust shop will likely be happy to help you look for leaks.

Regarding water pump, take off accessory belt and check the pump pulley, should give general idea of health. I ordered a Peirberg water pump from Pelican, was much lower price than "Genuine Porsche" - when I took OEM pump off, it was also Peirberg (pump will have a P on casting)!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

First, determine if it is the original water pump (you should be able to visually tell). If it is, get a new mechanic and change it immediately with a stock part.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

I always find it funny that in the same thread someone says " as it is a known issue with these cars." and everyone says not to cheap out and use a genuine Porsche part.

Porsche doesn't make the best everything!

I doubt they even make the original pump. Why would we replace the IMS bearing, AOS , ignition switch etc with original Porsche parts if there are other options?
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Kur

Thanks for all your responses, guys, much appreciated!
It's definitely not the original pump, as the silicone sealing looks quite fresh. I guess the previous owner has just fitted one of the crap ones you're talking about.
However in regards to water pumps many Porsche owners seem to agree with what brian325is is saying - that some aftermarket Pumps with Uprated Metal Propeller (whatever this means ) are better than the genuine ones. And with prices varying between 70 and 300 pounds, it's not an easy choice. I'll probably go for an OEM though.
I'll ask the mechanic to have a look at the manifolds and pipes as well.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
I always find it funny that in the same thread someone says " as it is a known issue with these cars." and everyone says not to cheap out and use a genuine Porsche part.

Porsche doesn't make the best everything!

I doubt they even make the original pump. Why would we replace the IMS bearing, AOS , ignition switch etc with original Porsche parts if there are other options?
As long as you are able to confidently select a quality aftermarket part you make a valid point. It's the risk of unknowingly buying some piece of junk knock-off that you avoid by staying with the factory offerings. In the case of waterpumps, even though factory Porsche pumps have a failure rate to them, it is probably worse with the Acme brand, and you are risking an expensive engine to save a relatively small amount of money. that's my take on it anyway. I decide case by case on whether to buy factory or aftermarket depending on the circumstances.