Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #21

My oil leak is my car's form of communication. If I don't drive it for more than 6 days, it drops two drops, two drops only..and not from an area of concern. True story. My solution, I drive it every day.

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
And when we do a PPI for a prospective buyer, we deduct the cost of oil leak repairs from the asking price for the car. You want to let leak, fine by me, but you end up paying for the repairs either way...........
That is a reasonable recommendation. What percentage of Boxsters that you look at show signs of oil weeping? 50%? More?

/
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Not only ecologically irresponsible, but a complete lack of regard for the safety of other drivers, particularly the two-wheeled variety. But you save the cost of a repair, and that's the important thing, right? Good for you.

Mark T - I think your over-stating it a bit here. Moisture on the rear main seal is not the Exxon Valdez, deepwater horizon or Lance Armstrong...

/
Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
That is a reasonable recommendation. What percentage of Boxsters that you look at show signs of oil weeping? 50%? More?

/
Actually, not that many. The more important question for the buyer is where is the leak coming from; cam cover or plug tube leaks are cheap when compared to RMS or case bolt leaks. It's all relative............
Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Thanks, again, everyone for sharing your experience. My mechanic says it's the IMSB and/or the RMS. Both are on order and we'll get them replaced next week.

When I bought the car, I was expecting to have to spend some up-front repair money on it, per a "how to buy a used Porsche" article I read. From all I can tell, this will be a top-notch car once I get the leaks fixed and I'm still in the "fantastic car for the money" range.

Plus, there's the Porsche Perma-Grin thing.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #26

That's the attitude, Silver S!

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote