Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #1

Left light unit completely dead

My left light unit just went completely dead - main beam, low beam and turn signal. Obviously not a bulb. Is there a common connector that I can try?
My fender was recently replaced at a body shop, so I wonder if a connector might have come loose. Any suggestions?

56 Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, check the connector between headlight and car

Common problem, easy fix.

Last edited by particlewave; 10-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Where is it located? Do I take out the light unit, or can it be reached from inside the trunk?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Take the headlight assembly out using the removal tool in your car's tool pouch. You will see the multi-pin connector on the back of the assembly. It's make is part of the tray that the assembly slides in on.

I had a 98 that had a the connector broken from the tray. There was still enough wiring harness to connect the assembly as I was sliding it back in place.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Take the headlight assembly out using the removal tool in your car's tool pouch. You will see the multi-pin connector on the back of the assembly. It's make is part of the tray that the assembly slides in on.

I had a 98 that had a the connector broken from the tray. There was still enough wiring harness to connect the assembly as I was sliding it back in place.
Pull the carpet back from the top of the frunk on the side that's not working. There's a black rubber boot that pulls out. Insert the tool or a 5MM socket attached to an extension and turn it clockwise. The headlight unit will slide out. Pull it all the way out and you'll see the connector . Reconnect and slide unit back in. Lock in place by turning the socket counter clockwise- ideally, you'll hear a click. Pull on the light to ensure it's locked in. Your done! Check lights.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Spider View Post
Where is it located? Do I take out the light unit, or can it be reached from inside the trunk?
Not to be a jerk, but a 90 second google search would have answered all of your questions.
I mean, I'm glad to help and all, but this is really basic stuff.

Last edited by particlewave; 10-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the help, apart from particlewave's comment - perhaps he had had a bad day. Most responders are usually very helpful to beginners on the forum.

I got the light unit back in OK, although it took a few tries. The over-centre locking mechanism seemed to be jamming up, the unit needed a firm push rear wards before it would lock properly. And yes, there is a good U-tube video that helped. The unit is now working fine.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Spider View Post
Thanks for the help, apart from particlewave's comment - perhaps he had had a bad day.
Not at all
If I recall, I'm the one who told you what the problem was.

I just did the basic math and figured that it would take about 8-10 times longer for me to explain it to you than it would for you to type a few words into a search engine.

Teach a man to fish?
You see where I'm going?
No hard feelings and happy driving