Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #1

Process for Bidding on a New Build

Has anyone created a bid situation for a new build? I really don't care who I buy it from but I do want a good deal. Thus from some previous advice, I thought I would have 6 dealers or so submit a bid to me. I figured that I would just specify the options, color, timeframe, lease/buy preference and bid due date to all of the local dealers and that's it. Is there anything I am missing? Also, should I send the bid request to with the sales manager? Finally, is this the best way to go for the best deal?

luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
bmussatti

luxury1, I did this process for my 987S. I'll send you a PM with a contact number to call me and discuss further.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #3

It would be great to outline a summary for us as I may buy a new built to order 911 before year's end.
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
seems to me your message needs to be shouting SERIOUS at the dealers before you have any chance of getting a great deal.

give them 24 hours to bid -- end bidding a couple of hours before close of business

with a promise that the lowest bid gets your cash -- "i will submit deposit within 1 hour of bidding end by CC" -- that tells them SERIOUS! (even if they don't take you up on it and instead wait for a check when you initial the paperwork)

you absolutely need them to think this is gonna happen somewhere, soon before they are gonna give you their best price.

downside: the "low bid" that comes back turns out to be more than you want to pay. you would probably back out. that number is now a "starting point" in your mind. that is precisely why they won't give you their lowest bid to begin with and why you will lose money if you are a man of your word.

better (did i mention all this is imo?): do some research. figure out a realistic-but-near-the-edge deal given your specs. then tell 20 dealers what YOU will pay for those specs within, say, 24 hrs (to allow all dealers to get back to you). you are ready to commit NOW! many will say your price is full of ****************. but all it takes is one . . . .

btw, i was 3 of 24 with my offer. i took alot of **************** from the 21 rejects (eg, "your offer is unrealistic given current market conditions for a BTO blah blah blah") -- laugh it off. it only takes one.

Last edited by bhduxbury; 01-25-2006 at 06:15 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
errr -- i see you are in PA -- adjust your tactics according to the amount of dealers you are willing to travel to for pickup.

if it's only 6, to me that means leaving a little extra money on the table in your offer if you want to get it done now and live up to your word.

then again, perhaps you just want to flush out the most motivated dealer, in which case a "bidding on my specs" or "take it or leave it" process on your specs would be a ruse to differentiate him from the others and then bargain with him from there.

in any event, you will end up with one ********************tastic car, in the good sense!

Last edited by bhduxbury; 01-25-2006 at 06:10 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #6

Thanks bhduxbury, that's how I bought my Phaeton for $16,000 under msrp but that car is probably a special circumstance so I didn't know how P dealers might go since they usually, so I've heard, don't discount too much. I got a lot of rejects or blow-offs from Phaeton dealers but 60 miles away there was one who was ready to deal.

I may want a 997 turbo though so unless I'm willing to wait a couple of years I may be paying full msrp. I rather wait than pay more.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #7

$16k under is not possible I'm sure especially since the boxsters are selling fine (no offense but while the Phaeton is an amzaing car, it just didn't sell well). One dealership near me is advertising in the window a $3k discount but I think that near $5k is attainable on an '06 build.

Last night I sent out a bid request to 11 semi local dealers specifying the options, color and bid due date and made it know that I was including multiple dealers in the area. Now to wait and see!
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #8

I got my new 987 at $10,000 off msrp.

Want to buy a new 997 now and have no idea how much off P dealers will go--if any.

Of course the Phaeton is a special circumstance.