Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Tighten loose spark plug in boxster

Hi everyone,

My 98 boxster is producing a chirping sound and i did loads of research from the net and found out its quite a high chance of being a loose spark plug!

Is it easy to DIY fix it? Could anyone kindly give me some advice on how to tighten them ? It would be great if some photos or procedures could be provided!!

Many thanx
pat

megapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Pelican Technical Article: Replacing Boxster Spark Plugs and Coils - 986 / 987
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Garage
I've done it before. Nothing much to it, just a tight fit. The pelican guide is not bad, and what I used when I did mine.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Its not too bad. Get a torque wrench and follow the instructions on 101 Projects... Check back with us if you have questions.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
pjq

Here are pics for a 04 3.2L. If your asking how to do it its probably a good time to buy the pelican or bentley book. I have both and I find they compliment each other. They are a great confidence builder to do more.

coil and plug
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
Here are pics for a 04 3.2L. If your asking how to do it its probably a good time to buy the pelican or bentley book. I have both and I find they compliment each other. They are a great confidence builder to do more.

coil and plug
Thanx alot for ur photo mate !!! What did u do to ur engine that requires u to take the whole thing out?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Hi all,

May i ask a silly questions, what's the theory behind the loose spark plug that contributes to that chirping sound? I bought my car to the garage and he's an EX-porsche technician. He told me that he has never heard of car having loose spark plugs and if spark plugs are really loosen, the engine will be shaky and probably engine lights will be ON as well....

So is there anyone advice me on the theory of the loose spark plug?

I was told it mite be my camshaft or crankshaft (i forgotten which one he is saying) being loosen inside the engine....which requires taking the engine out for replacement and its COSTY sad....

He told me to live with it and continue driving.... The sound disappears when the temperature of the car is above 90degrees and all oil lubricartes the camshaft or crankshaft and engine....

Pls feel free to share any experience u had with these chirping sound or sharing any theory !!! Im very worried about my car and its reli giving me endless nightmares!!

Thanx
Pat

Last edited by megapat; 10-08-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
pjq

The engine's IMS bearing failed and metal was found in the oil, oil filter and oil pan. With so much metal in the engine and a failed IMS bearing the engine had to be replaced or try to rebuild. I choose the Rebuild the engine path.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9

I'm not sure if I ever heard of the chirping noise linked to spark plugs. But I'm no mechanic. You would probably end up with a check engine light if it were really loose. Tightening the spark plugs is pretty staight forward. Tight area to work in but with a swivel socket and patience you can get the job done.

Hopefully others can chime in to help on what causes the chirping noise.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I'm not sure if I ever heard of the chirping noise linked to spark plugs. But I'm no mechanic. You would probably end up with a check engine light if it were really loose. Tightening the spark plugs is pretty staight forward. Tight area to work in but with a swivel socket and patience you can get the job done.

Hopefully others can chime in to help on what causes the chirping noise.
Actually, you will not get a CEl for a loose plug, just a lot of chirping or whistle noise....
Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #11

If it's of any help, my indy said I need new plugs and saw some cracked coils. Two mechanics told me that, in fact. I haven't had the time over the past few months since owning the car to do this, but I've got the chirping noise, especially if I have to get on it while the engine is still cold (seldom, but I live on a busy road.)

It's just a small, short chirp. Weirdest noise. I was inclined at first to think it was a belt slipping, or something to do with my air conditioning clutch. It seems to chirp even when car is warm with the A/C so I stopped using the air at once, when that particular problem started showing up a month ago. Still does it with the A/C off too, but haven't noticed anything when the car is completely warmed up. Seems to have something to do with operating temp. If it were weather related, I'd see it by now. We just had a huge temperature swing with no change on how it's running.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapat View Post
Hi all,

May i ask a silly questions, what's the theory behind the loose spark plug that contributes to that chirping sound? I bought my car to the garage and he's an EX-porsche technician. He told me that he has never heard of car having loose spark plugs and if spark plugs are really loosen, the engine will be shaky and probably engine lights will be ON as well....

So is there anyone advice me on the theory of the loose spark plug?

I was told it mite be my camshaft or crankshaft (i forgotten which one he is saying) being loosen inside the engine....which requires taking the engine out for replacement and its COSTY sad....

He told me to live with it and continue driving.... The sound disappears when the temperature of the car is above 90degrees and all oil lubricartes the camshaft or crankshaft and engine....

Pls feel free to share any experience u had with these chirping sound or sharing any theory !!! Im very worried about my car and its reli giving me endless nightmares!!

Thanx
Pat
Look, this is real simple. Tighten the plugs. If the sound goes away then you have found your problem. If it doesn't then you need to investigate further. This problem has come up many times before in this forum (SIYF!) and it is invariably a loose plug.

As far as your mechanic, first telling you that your cam or crank is "loose in the engine", and then telling you to "live with it" - it would seem that you have your explanation as why he is now an EX-porsche mechanic. Get a new mechanic - this guy is obviously an idiot.

Last edited by Mark_T; 10-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote