Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #21

Garage
Gonna wash her up tomorrow and I will post some better pics. I think the back can use another 5mm, not sure about the front yet. Used the same lug nuts but if I go 10mm I will need longer ones.

The ride is a little more bumpy but its handeling well. Gonna have them recheck the balancing.

Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #22

Yeah they look very nice.

IMO this is one of the best looking wheels I've seen on Boxster though I might be a bit biased .. LOL.

I just switch out to my new wheels yesterday and already miss these old ones. Hopefully the new ones will grow on me.

Here's a pix to compare.

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch The Icon View Post
Gonna wash her up tomorrow and I will post some better pics. I think the back can use another 5mm, not sure about the front yet. Used the same lug nuts but if I go 10mm I will need longer ones.

The ride is a little more bumpy but its handeling well. Gonna have them recheck the balancing.
Using the oem lugs is not advisable - even with just a 5mm spacer ! You definitely need longer bolts; especially if you increase the size of the spacer to 10mm's. The length of the oem bolt is 28mm's. In order to calculate the correct size bolts, simply add the thickness of the spacer to the length of the oem bolt (s). For example, a 5mm spacer will require a 33mm bolt and so on. Do not continue to drive with the current set-up you have !
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986 View Post
Yeah they look very nice.

IMO this is one of the best looking wheels I've seen on Boxster though I might be a bit biased .. LOL.

I just switch out to my new wheels yesterday and already miss these old ones. Hopefully the new ones will grow on me.

Here's a pix to compare.

As of yesterday I to am biased towards your previous set of wheels lol
Your new set is a very good look though, can you post a pic of the whole car?
Why did you switch wheels anyways?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Using the oem lugs is not advisable - even with just a 5mm spacer ! You definitely need longer bolts; especially if you increase the size of the spacer to 10mm's. The length of the oem bolt is 28mm's. In order to calculate the correct size bolts, simply add the thickness of the spacer to the length of the oem bolt (s). For example, a 5mm spacer will require a 33mm bolt and so on. Do not continue to drive with the current set-up you have !
Thank you for the advice Johnny! I am officially spooked and not driving my car until I get that fixed this weekend. Pulling out the Commander tomorrow, the Hemi is always fun.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #26

Reason for switch was weight. The 19s looked very good ( I was biased too .. still am .. LOL ) however was not the best for autocross. Switched to light weight 18s in hope of being more competitive in my class. LOL
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986 View Post
Reason for switch was weight. The 19s looked very good ( I was biased too .. still am .. LOL ) however was not the best for autocross. Switched to light weight 18s in hope of being more competitive in my class. LOL
Gotcha! I'm super jealous that you're out there racing the Boxster. Thats so effin cool!!!! Make us proud
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Ready to purchase these, would these work with my wheels? Assuming I use a 5-7mm spacer.

Mcgard Audi Porsche VW Chrome Wheel Locks Lug Bolts | eBay
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Ready to purchase these, would these work with my wheels? Assuming I use a 5-7mm spacer.

You want oem 19mm (head) ball seat lugs bolts. Don't mess around with these kinds of multiple fit lugs.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #30

Quote:

Nope those won't work and like JD mentioned, do not try you will crack your wheels and potentially worst.

What you need is the ball seat lug bolt with a R14 (ball radius). Nothing else
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #31

Garage
Thank you Johnny and Nine8Six for your quick response. Could either of you provide me with a link for the correct set. It's been real tough to locate, especially when you arent mechanically inclined like myself. The bolts I posted have the r14 ball radius that you mentioned in the description Nine8Six. Are these still incorrect? Thanks guys
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Thank you Johnny and Nine8Six for your quick response. Could either of you provide me with a link for the correct set. It's been real tough to locate, especially when you arent mechanically inclined like myself. The bolts I posted have the r14 ball radius that you mentioned in the description Nine8Six. Are these still incorrect? Thanks guys
Find a seller online or get them at the dealership.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #33

Garage
I found these in a previous post by Johnny. Just purchased this set. It's a much better spacer then the one I got at the tire shop and its 7mm vs 5mm.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #34

You are right, missed the desc "Seat Style: Ball Seat 14mm Radius (R14) With Spin Seat Design". From the picture they appeared to be something different. Late night, red eyes and all..... Apologies.

The spacers above and lug bolts seems to be fine. Actually I just browse at this eBay seller's stocks and I'm thinking about going for a set of his 'rust proof' black zinc plated lugs myself - I could get rid of my cheap black plastic caps I'm using to hide the OEM crappy & rusty lugs that Porsche puts on their cars.

Thanks for the link
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #35

Garage
Nice! They have a big selection and seems reasonably priced. I'm looking forward to getting rid of those rusty bolts myself!! Happy motoring
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #36

Happy indeed!

Out of context; but had a business appointment near your happy valley last autumn and I have to say it was blast when I saw that 'Smiley Face' from the freeway (LOL). I bet it's vandalism and illegal but regardless I loved the idea. Good spot and effective
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Happy indeed!

Out of context; but had a business appointment near your happy valley last autumn and I have to say it was blast when I saw that 'Smiley Face' from the freeway (LOL). I bet it's vandalism and illegal but regardless I loved the idea. Good spot and effective
Hahaha the things my city is known for. I guess thats better then the Rodney King trials or the Manson caves which we are also home too. The Happy face has been up for a good 15 years now but it caused quite a traffic jam for the first couple of weeks. :ah: