Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Moving beep in dash!!!

2001 Boxster S running fine. Today during drive through NC mountains starting getting a random beep from somewhere under front dash. I swear it sounded like it moved also. One side, the the other. Tried hitting every button, clock and speedo set switch. It is driving me nutz! Just now took my grandson to McDeez and there it was again. Seemed to happen when I accelerated in first and shifted to second, but then again today it seemed to just happen whenever, although I wasn't paying attention to tach when it did. The last few times it did it seemed it was coming from passenger side dash.

This is not horn its a short "beep" like a watch battery running low or something. Nothing in car under seats or anything. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? How does one go about troubleshooting this?

conzboneeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

Do you have a CDR-220 radio? If so, remove the front plate and clean the gold contacts with an eraser.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

If you fix the rattle in my top's storage compartment, I'll fix your beep!!

These cars have some odd problems!

Tracking devise? Is your brother in law DEA?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

Yes CDR-220 radio. Hmmm, that would explain beep coming from all over front....speakers on each side on top, underneath. I will try that in morning. Thank you.

Lol, if someone is tracking me they are in for a boring job!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Well having the car 6 weeks I still apparently don't know my arse from elbow. I somehow had set the speed limit alert to 31 miles per hour. Talk about DUH! Turned it off but then decided to set it for 150...hey you never know!

So after that I decide to play with seat position memory and when I get done setting that now I have a air bag warning light on. Geez!

Oh, and also apparently my headlight switch is bad cause when I pull out knob turn to left to turn on fog lamps, they come on but when I release switch it goes right back in and they go off. Why I oughtta.....
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by conzboneeus View Post
Well having the car 6 weeks I still apparently don't know my arse from elbow. I somehow had set the speed limit alert to 31 miles per hour. Talk about DUH! Turned it off but then decided to set it for 150...hey you never know!

So after that I decide to play with seat position memory and when I get done setting that now I have a air bag warning light on. Geez!

Oh, and also apparently my headlight switch is bad cause when I pull out knob turn to left to turn on fog lamps, they come on but when I release switch it goes right back in and they go off. Why I oughtta.....
Foggers only work in certain positions.

Make sure both rear fog lights are working! Very often one does not work....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Haha the speed beep. It took me a while to figure out that all these controls can be cancelled by holding in the stalk for about 3 seconds. Mine beeped for about a week.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Haha the speed beep. It took me a while to figure out that all these controls can be cancelled by holding in the stalk for about 3 seconds. Mine beeped for about a week.
I used that "feature" in my BMW for about a week and then disabled it...it IS annoying on the highway. I saw it on the Porsche and didn't dare turn it on...and got a ticket the first week. Doing my defensive driving now...

reiver is offline   Reply With Quote