Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
Perfect lap, for someone who has been a member for 9 years, you of all people should know this will never change. So for someone complaining about ruined search results, you are part of then ruined result. If this thread had zero replies no-one would have clicked this thread when searching for oil questions. Now all people searching for an oil thread will click this thread only to be very disappointed.
Actually I agree with you. I too believe ignoring the lazy is the best course, but that becomes ineffective once people indulge/encourage this by spoon-feeding the lazy their answers. Every once in a while someone comes along who is not only lazy but rude as well, and that merits a response. If a were a new member, the negative reaction by active members would not be lost on me.

On the biggest Porsche forum they have a practice where if a member posts a topic without bothering to see if the topic is already under discussion, he gets the Enzo prize which means every member posts a joke or picture of an Enzo Ferrari. It's heavy handed but effective in keeping relevant discussion from being split into 18 different threads.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #42

Guess I’m gonna jump back into the fray here (briefly, I hope!).

For starters, my response to Redmond Boxster (ie the first response to the OP) was not in the least bit nasty---unlike most of what he’s written subsequently. I simply pointed out what I thought was a reasonable (and helpful) recommendation to someone looking for answers to a question that has been answered ad nauseum on this and other similar forums. In the face of that attempt to help out, it was the OP who escalated matters with his uncalled-for sarcasm. Following that, I simply stood my ground. Which is exactly what Perfectlap and others have done since. Had the OP followed my suggestion, two things would have occurred: One, he’d have quickly found answers out the wazoo to his original question AND, two, this thread would have died at three posts instead of three pages.

And while some look upon what happened here as “shooting down” a new member, I saw it as suggestions that the “new member”, for whatever reason, took entirely the wrong way and clearly decided to cop an an attitude about the whole thing. We’re a good resource here, and I think most of us here are willing to help someone out. Having attempted to help out, what we’re NOT willing to do is sit back and mutely accept responses that are patronizing and offensive, and which have no real basis or justification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
But let's get real ... you know it, I know it, and most likely they know it too that their behavior is wrong but they are still going to do it. So if you want to stop the noob behavior there is only one way to do it. Just ignore their post and move on. Empty threads are a simple way to tell a user no one is interested or willing to respond to that particular question and maybe that will generate a user response to read a bit before their next post.
Yeah, I suppose that argument could be made. But if it’s truly a noob we’re dealing with, giving no response at all we may be interpreted as exhibiting a hostile unwillingness to help or (gasp ) ignorance. Why not, in an unflaming kind of way, at least point out the existence (and merit) of the Search function to the noob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond Boxster View Post
All I was trying to do is get my question answered. Googles search engine offers too much information and i was wondering who can just drop me a few lines what the best options are. Why go out of your way on an online forum to try and cause and inconvenient stir? Pretty immature. Unlike the other guys who actually told me the awnser to my questions. Thank you so much guys! And I'm not new to the forum been a member for quite some time just never find the time to post on here and when I do it's only a few simple questions.
Answering your question is EXACTLY what I tried to do...the “answers” to your question are innumerable; they already exist in hundreds of posts already written. I never dreamed you’d misinterpret my suggestion to be a reference to doing a Google search. I simply took mild offense to the sarcastic attitude you so quickly assumed in your second post. That, my friend, along with other things you've said more accurately rise to the level of being (to use your words) “pretty immature”.

On top of that, you then proceed to admit that you’ve “been a member for quite some time.” If that’s true, I find it absolutely astounding that you’ve never heard (or have simply ignored) the expression “Do a Search”. And that you’ve, apparently, never noticed the “Search” button at the top of the page. How can that be??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond Boxster View Post
I never once insulted you, and please don't speak on behalf of other members like "that's not our style"
If you’d read as many posts as those who’ve been here quite a few years you’d recognize that, by and large, that’s true, that isn't our style. I say 'by and large' because, obviously, there are exceptions, occasional individuals who are insulting to members of long-standing. They tend to come and, just as quickly, disappear back into the woodwork. Perhaps you are an example of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I say the newbies should be the one to respond to the repeat post.
THIS GETS MY VOTE!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote