Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #1

First Auto-x Sunday...

And it looks like rain. totally psyched!

:dance:

Who here has experience with autocross in their Box?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #2

Absolutely a must do for any Boxster/Carrera owner.

I would encourage you to log onto YouTube and search for autocross and the name of the venue you will be at. Many guys take onboard video. Watch as many of those as you can. Do it over and over again until you can predict whether the next turn will open right, open left or open into a slalom, tight hair pin, if its a four pin or six pin gate. Then move onto another video with a totally different layout to memorize. After a few courses you get the mental rythym of style of driving you need to perform. Being a good autocross driver is a lot like learning to be a rally driver without the co-pilot. The key is to focus in on the next turn and not the turn in front of you. Just like mountain biking and downhill skiing. Nearly all of the driving is done with your eyes. your hands and feets just follow along. the less you fixate on what's directly in front of you the faster you'll be. This is why the videos are great they give you time to develop the visual skill to make up for the very limited time in the car that autocross can provide.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Garage
Great fun, I highly recommend asking an instructor (if they are on hand) to ride along the first few runs to give pointers until you get the hang of it. If it's a PCA autocross, all of the folks (at least around here) are greatly supportive, and want to see you succeed & improve throughout the day.

Walk the course a few times before it starts if you can - memorizing the layout is KEY to having fun.

Enjoy! Our next one is in a week.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

Thanks. This is SCCA sponsored autocross.
I already have someone lined up to ride with me and give some pointers.
Novice walkthrough starts at 10am, first car off at 10:30.

Perfectlap- I was highly encouraged by the previous owner of my Porsche to get into autocross, as it is invaluable in learning the limitations of my car. Glad to hear your advice about the videos, thanks.

Looks incredibly fun, very excited about it.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Auto-x in the wet is a good experience too, its all about learning the handling limits and great experience.

Take a performance driving school and you will be way ahead over a fresh newbie.

Overcome the fear of spinning out and hitting cones and you will learn how to drive right to the limit.

Also find some reading on the racing line and learn the techniques so you can practice on the auto-x and make adjustments to improve your times. Keep a log of what works for you and what doesnt including tire presures.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Autocross was great today! No rain, perfect partly cloudy weather at about 72 degrees.

Intense! I was really pushing it to the limits (PSM off), drifting, hitting a few cones here and there. It was a lot of fun trying to get those back tires to break loose.. so hard to do in this car.

So if anyone has ever considered it, definitely hit up a local auto-x, you'll love it.

I never even thought about the IMS once the whole day.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Maybe my turn on next sunday...