Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Running hot

Hello everyone, I just noticed that my Boxster seemed to be running really hot to me!! I found an old post that says most pretty run around the 180 mark. While driving I noticed mine is just about at the 3rd mark(210-220 maybe)? Anyone else have this problem? Could it be my thermostat? Thanks in advance!

DieSiebener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

When sitting still in traffic or at a light they heat up a good bit. I noticed mine was getting a little hot one day sitting in traffic. Once I got moving the temp lowered back down to 180. Was it a hot day/were you sitting in traffic? Or does it run at the temps even at highway cruising speeds?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Although temperatures will go up in stop and go traffic in warm weather, 210/220 does sound too hot - especially if that is its typical operating temperature. While it could be the thermostat, my first attempt at a fix would be to clean out the radiators - particularly if you don't know when they were last cleaned.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

That's too hot, especially when you consider how unlinear the temperature gauge seems to be.

I've checked both my Boxsters gauge reading against the climate control (hidden menu) reading.

Both cars will run at 92-95c (197-203F) running around town, while the gauge barely budges past the 180 mark. I don't know what your coolant is running at if the gauge is indicating 210 or so.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

How old is your waterpump?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Mostly this is just city traffic with a lot of starting and stopping. I just got back from a 70 mile drive with about 3 stops and stayed a tad past the 180 mark. I have no idea how old the water pump. Where is the radiator? I guess it couldn't hurt to clean that.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #7

Mileage? Year?

You might need; a coolant flush, new themostate, and a new water pump.

Pull you bumper and clean your radiators.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

My 01S has a low temperature thermostat. It runs at or to the left of the black hash mark at 180 on the dial. If I sit in traffic, the temperature might creep up to the left side of the 0 in 180.

I'd guess several possibilities given your description of high temperature operation.
  1. If you've recently changed your coolant, perhaps there is an air bubble in the system that restricts flow. Search the forum for the proper way to burp it.
  2. Your thermostat might not be opening fully.
  3. Your water pump may have broken impeller blades whereby the coolant isn't circulating properly.
How many miles do you have on the car since the water pump was last changed. If its over 60,000, you might want to replace it. My recommendation is to replace it with the Porsche OEM part. While you're in there, put a 160 degree (low temperature) thermostat in.

Take care of this soon. These engines don't like high temperatures.

Hope this helps
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Mileage? Year?

You might need; a coolant flush, new themostate, and a new water pump.

Pull you bumper and clean your radiators.
2000 with 80k miles
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Lots of good DIY projects here that will help you sort out the problem. With 80k I would clean the rads, confirm fans are working, replace coolant, water pump, T-stat, and serpentine belt as a good periodic maintenance. Cleaning the rads every 20k is a good target for most cars.

DIY Projects: Do-it-Yourself Repair and Maintenance for your Porsche
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
That's too hot, especially when you consider how unlinear the temperature gauge seems to be.

I've checked both my Boxsters gauge reading against the climate control (hidden menu) reading.

Both cars will run at 92-95c (197-203F) running around town, while the gauge barely budges past the 180 mark. I don't know what your coolant is running at if the gauge is indicating 210 or so.
I find it very hard to believe your cars run at those temps in traffic and Florida heat.

Can remember the trigger point for low speed fans, but it can't be much above 95 and I very much doubt the low speed fans will keep your temps below 95. The engine in generating a lot of heat, the ambient temps are hot and your natural airflow is nil.

Unless, of course, by around town you mean cruising at 30 to 40mph. But even then I would expect to see temps a bit hotter than you are reporting. In stop-start traffic, I would have thought 95 and below was very unlikely.

My 2.5 runs a lot hotter than that around town, and that's will brand new rads, new water pump, new stat. To be honest, fitting those things didn't make much difference, my cooling system was working just fine beforehand.

It's worth noting that the high speed fans on a 2.5 at set to trigger at 108 degrees C, which gives you an idea of what is considered hot by the engine management system.

Surely you trigger your high speed fans in Florida heat in stop-start traffic?!