Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
Not in a million years....

If I had to do it again, I would dig deep and pick up the Guards Red 993 for $31K that was put before me. Air cooled, no IMS, bulletproof, and they're appreciating like mad.
I'v had similar opportunities. My indy is a go-to go guy on finding old Carreras worth plunking money into. There's always at least five of them in the shop.

But choosing between a Boxster/Cayman or 996/997 and an air-cooled Porsche is a apples and oranges proposition.
For starters, you can't drive a 993, 964 or 911 like you can drive a Boxster/S.
You can't drive it with abandon. You're now fixating on the odometer as each new 10K miles is affecting the resale. You're not taking that air-cooled Carrera out on foul days if you're the typical owner. And a Boxster will take as many DE's and AX's as you can throw it at without nearly the long-term engine expense of an air-cooled Porsche. One properly rebuilt water-cooled Porsche engine, especially a GT3, will outlast the needs of just about any Porsche owner while providing more power at lower cost. It may not be romantic like an air-cooled, but I like to hold onto my money, keep my garage floor clear of a new oil spot and I like to drive my expensive toys as much as I want.

I guess some people experience this need to mitigate the expense of a non-investment purchase (like a sports car) with the comforting feeling that their garage queen is acting as sort of savings account with wheels. But in my book it's either an investment or its not. Most air-cooled Porsches will not recoupe their original sticker prices, certainly not when you add in long-term expenses. So they're still used cars. But don't get me wrong if I had a hangar full of cars I never needed to drive, it would be full of 911's and 964's. Once their numbers dwindle further, enthusiasts all over the world will pay top dollar for this nostalgia.

But if you're asking me which Porsche I can drive hard while I own it, that's another matter. Antiques vs. work horses.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #42

That my household has been converted over to an all Porsche/Ducati garage should give my answer. While it is not always easy or cheap to keep 3 10+ year old Porsches on the road, we still smile every time we drive.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #43

Buy a 993, they're MUCH more fun..................

Last edited by coreseller; 04-18-2014 at 01:30 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #44
Blazemandr

After not owning a Porsche for 30 years, it was a joy to return to the thrill of driving our 1999 Boxster. Even with 95k miles, we just drove from Sacramento to Fontana and back without a single hitch. Yes we would not hesitate to do it again!
Blazemandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #45
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Heck yeah I would do it all over again. I have driven over 220,000 miles in the Jägermobile, and I can’t imagine not having a Boxster in the stable for the rest of my life. It might be a newer model in ten years but the way this car keeps going, who knows???
A friend of mine does car wraps...so this and thought of you and you avatar...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Buy a 993, they're MUCH more fun..................

NO, Thank you. It's not a convertible. :chicken:
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #47

I've owned in the family

3x 99 1 Tip, 2x5sp,
2x 2000 S
1x 2000 Tip
1x 2001 Tip

I am currently tracking a 2000 S.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
A friend of mine does car wraps...so this and thought of you and you avatar...
Nice! Can he do this with my avatar and Jägermobile for the text?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #49

Making the right buyers decision.

I am about to pickup a porsche 2002 boxster, everything seems to checkout. Could someone give opinions based off of the listing provided? Thanks

2002 Porsche Boxster 77K Miles Only - Super Clean!! | eBay
paperboy221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy221 View Post
I am about to pickup a porsche 2002 boxster, everything seems to checkout. Could someone give opinions based off of the listing provided? Thanks

2002 Porsche Boxster 77K Miles Only - Super Clean!! | eBay
Hi Paperboy, hard to tell anything definitive from the listing and pics. Looks like a 'wheeler-dealer' car to me (but that's not necessarily bad and it's just my opinion). From the pics - seats appear to have been reupholstered, recent top which is not fitting correctly at the b-pillar frame on either side, ding in truck lid, coolant tank is original (or it's been in there a while if replaced), front intake grills have been (poorly) repainted from silver to black.

All the plastic trim bits in the frunk appear to be there and the dashboard condition looks good in the pics. Comes with two keys - a positive if they are both working. No mention of an IMSB replacement or other common mechanical items which will need to be addressed in a car of its age.

Just looking at the pics and description I can't comment one way or the other regarding purchase.

IMHO, at the least it needs a thorough PPI and the body needs to be examined for any bodywork prior to purchase.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-04-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #51

Yes absolutely and I bought prior to a fix being available for IMSB, other than a replacement engine. Ha. As such also took quite a hit with depreciation. I have bought 3 M96 cars and still have 2 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #52

I did buy a second one. Second and third Porsches were Boxsters. The first a 914 that was a disaster due to no service or parts being available at the dealers. First year of the car and dealers were overwhelmed with the availability of the AUdi's first year and the cheaper "Porsche" 914. I sold it a week before the warranty ran out at the 2 year point. I had had enough. More than 30 years later it was time again and my first 2 mile ride in a Boxster was in the car I bought 10 minutes later as my first.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote