Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

At least I know the PSM works!

I'm due (well, overdue) for a new set of tires all the way around. I don't want to start a tire brand discussion, but am curious if what I have experienced is normal. Guessing it is, but here goes:

On a couple of occasions, in rather warm summer temps and on perfectly dry roads my Box S has broken traction in the rear with the corresponding cut-in of the PSM. The first time was coming out of a roundabout in second gear at low speed, I stomped on the throttle a bit, broke traction for just a second, and the PSM let me know it was looking out for me. The second time was a sharp right-hand turn, probably no faster then 30MPH/50KMH, steady light throttle, same short break in traction. (The wife asked, "what was that?" Answer: "worn out tires." Followed by rolling of eyes and pain in wallet.)

These are N-rated rummer tires, five years old according to the date stamp on the sidewall, rears are just at the wear bars on the inside. Please no lectures, they're getting replaced ASAP, but in 30C/90F weather on dry roads with moderate throttle it seems odd that I would experience what I did. Or maybe not? Alignment?

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
I'm due (well, overdue) for a new set of tires all the way around. I don't want to start a tire brand discussion, but am curious if what I have experienced is normal. Guessing it is, but here goes:

On a couple of occasions, in rather warm summer temps and on perfectly dry roads my Box S has broken traction in the rear with the corresponding cut-in of the PSM. The first time was coming out of a roundabout in second gear at low speed, I stomped on the throttle a bit, broke traction for just a second, and the PSM let me know it was looking out for me. The second time was a sharp right-hand turn, probably no faster then 30MPH/50KMH, steady light throttle, same short break in traction. (The wife asked, "what was that?" Answer: "worn out tires." Followed by rolling of eyes and pain in wallet.)

These are N-rated rummer tires, five years old according to the date stamp on the sidewall, rears are just at the wear bars on the inside. Please no lectures, they're getting replaced ASAP, but in 30C/90F weather on dry roads with moderate throttle it seems odd that I would experience what I did. Or maybe not? Alignment?
The S can easily outperform its tires in turns. It only has so much weight. New tires break loose when too fast into turns from takeoff. Drive slower in town is the answer.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #3

I think 5 years old is the issue. My Michelins now have five seasons on them and have definitely fallen off the cliff. They are like hockey pucks and nowhere near as sticky as they were when new, despite having lots of tread left.

This was definitely made clear to me last weekend. I was coming out of the top of a cloverleaf pushing 100 kph and I got on the throttle a little too early, broke the back end loose, and went almost sideways. (I love how easy it is to recover these cars from an unintended drift). The tires would never have slipped like this a year or two ago. So, new shoes for next season.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The S can easily outperform its tires in turns. It only has so much weight. New tires break loose when too fast into turns from takeoff. Drive slower in town is the answer.
I'd agree if we're talking about going WOT out of a turn. But 30mph on light steady throttle on a sweeping turn... does that qualify as fast driving around town?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #5

You will know for sure when you get the new tires and the resulting pain.
For what ever it's worth, my 7 year old rear tires were fairly easy to break loose just before I replaced all 4 tires this summer. They were not down to the wear bars yet. When they were new(er), I could hardly break them loose, scared me to try, not as brave as I was when I was younger.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Tires are old and worn out.. what kind of answer were you looking for?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Garage
There is nothing like the feel of a brand new set of tires... I wish I could put a new set on every four months. :dance:

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Tires are old and worn out.. what kind of answer were you looking for?
I was obviously looking to have someone point out what I already pointed out so I could learn nothing constructive.

This isn't my first sports car, but my first with RWD, and first Porsche. I don't know the first thing about how the alignment might be set up on this car, have only owned it for a few months, and have not yet had it to a track where I can safely explore its limits. The tires are getting done as soon as possible (not my daily driver) but I thought it couldn't hurt to present a question in case I might learn something new...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
There is nothing like the feel of a brand new set of tires... I wish I could put a new set on every four months. :dance:
In your case that would be a whole lot of sets of tires.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
DIY extremist

my 987S burns up a set of rears every six months.... thankfully, Michelin really does honor their limited treadwear warranty -- I pay about 1/3 of the replacement cost.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #11

In 1st and 2nd gear You can easily invoke PSM, even with new tires, it all depends on what you're doing "at the controls".

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote