Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Stuck Drain Plug Crush Washer

i'm changing my engine oil and the crush washer did not went out with the drain plug and there is very little room to pry it out even tried popping it with a flat tipped knife with no luck, anyone encountered this problem? Should I just leave the washer alone?

Thanks !

Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

I would not leave it on as it could prevent a good seal in the future, and if you pry it off be sure not to score the surface where it seats or you could have the same problem. As an FYI, make sure you are looking at the oil washer as the sealing area is clean and looks like a washer (reflected light). The PO or prior oil change may not have even installed a washer. If you are sure it is a washer, it should pop off with little force. I found my first washer on the garage floor after having an issue like yours (turned out the area I thought was the washer was just the seal are).
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
I found my first washer on the garage floor after having an issue like yours (turned out the area I thought was the washer was just the seal are).

+ 1, be careful

The seal seat on the oil pan, (where the seal ring seals against the oil pan) looks like a ring as well

I was lucky that did not damaged this area trying to remove a ring that wasn't there...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote