Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Talking Another jacking question

Yes, I did a search. My question is: I want to be able to remove all 4 wheels so I can take them to the tire shop for new tires. I don't trust them with their air wrenches and not scratching the brake calipers, and I would rather remove and reinstall the wheels myself (also a good time to clean the back of the rims). Can I jack up the car using the stock jack and jack points, and place supports (2X8s stacked) under the Pelican Parts recommended support points, rather than jacking up under these points and putting jack stands under the standard jacking points? I don't plan to get under the car, just remove all 4 wheels for a few hours, and I'd prefer not to have to buy a fancy shop jack and 4 stands.

Pelican Technical Article: Jacking Up and Lifting the Boxster on Jack Stands - 986 / 987

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #2

I've never tried it , but suggest you do it a little at a time .
It should work , but in all honesty i'd find another tire shop if I didn't trust them to take wheels off ...

There must be a local place that has a true "no touch" machine that are used to working on expensive rims/cars ??

They should understand what they are working with and no the difference in "mount from the backside" etc.
A good shop won't care if you want to clean before remounting ... Only the "sh** 'em out and make a buck" fast-fit paces are like that
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

I don't know about the jacking points but I totally agree with you. No one is going to be as careful as you when removing and reinstalling your rims. Same goes with your oil drain plug and filter. I always dread doing these chores for the first time. The lug nuts, filter and/or drain plug are always over torqued.

When I put my car up on stands, I put the jack just next to the jacking point. I put a small 2x4 with a slot cut in it for the sheet metal between the jack and the bottom of the car.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
This is my method, I take no responsibility for any negative results thereof.

I put the jack on the rear jack point (ahead of the rear wheel) and lift the entire side of the car, putting a jack stand under the front jack point and a stand under the rear crossmember. Repeat for the other side. Car is now supported by four stands and level.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Ian c, not much help there. It's the best shop in town; I want to do it myself! Gforrest, thanks for understanding and trying to help, but I was asking specifically about the points from the Pelican Parts 101 Boxster Projects book (and their Technical Articles on the web). Deserion, hmm, that might work, although I'm not quite sure what "rear crossmember" you mean, or where to place the 2X8s.

Anyone else ?

Last edited by Joe B; 09-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The bars the green arrows are pointing to:

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
This is my method, I take no responsibility for any negative results thereof.

I put the jack on the rear jack point (ahead of the rear wheel) and lift the entire side of the car, putting a jack stand under the front jack point and a stand under the rear crossmember. Repeat for the other side. Car is now supported by four stands and level.
I've been doing the same since 2001 with no issues.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Ian c, not much help there. It's the best shop in town; I
Well I have no experience of using the factory jack , in fact I don't think I've ever used one , but the theory should work as long as you take your time .

Have you got the "wheel install" tool in your car tool kit ?
I have tried using two at a time when I was changing fronts on my own , and it was a right pain , but maybe if you stood over them an forced the issue the shop would use them .
I also suggest wrapping your 19mm socket in duct tape to avoid scratches to the wheel ( kinda like the opposite to the old fuchs socket) .
Once they know you are concerned and serious , they'll probably just play along .
And call you "that wierd Porsche guy" !!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Vista glass

Garage
Joe

What you propose to do is possible, a lot of work but possible. I have done one corner for a quick fix when I was away from my garage. I did not want to leave it on a jack and fashioned what you are proposing out of materials that were there. It will be a trick to place your lumber pile while the jack is in position in the front. Getting under the rear support you should have plenty of access. Deserion's photo shows nicely the area to place your supports. You might want to do the rear first so you can slide those wheels below the vehicle as your safety while placing the support under the fronts. Certainly pad your temporary lumber supports with newspapers or something soft when you set the vehicle on them.
The jack provided with the vehicle is lightweight but adequate. You might as well freshen up your lug nuts too "While your are in there". Good luck and have fun. Take a picture.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #10

How about making a few trips rather than taking them all at once ?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
After Discount broke my locking nut socket I asked them to ONLY use a torque wrench to secure lugs. They happily complied.

Asking seems easier than spending $$$.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
After Discount broke my locking nut socket I asked them to ONLY use a torque wrench to secure lugs. They happily complied.

Asking seems easier than spending $$$.
Yeah, the last time our (best in town) tire shop installed my wife's summer tires on her BMW 325XI, I had to jump on the lug wrench with all my weight (plus some) to loosen the lug bolts in order to remove a flat tire! I weigh 160 lbs. so God knows how tight they really were. I just like to do everything myself, when I can.