Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Boxster with bad suspension

I bought a 1997 Boxster which makes awful clunking noises when going over bumps. The previous owner tells me he had it looked at and diagnosed with needing new shocks.

I found someone selling front shocks off a 2001 non-sport boxster with 40k miles on them for 40 bucks each. I'm on a really tight budget at the moment so I can't afford new parts. Will these shocks fit my boxster?

abuzar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

Yes but it might be drop links or arb bushes .
Try wd40/grease or disconnecting before you resort to "purchase diagnosis" ...
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #3

I'm not too mechanically inclined, I was gonna have someone I know do the work. What should I grease? I'll look into the drop links and the arb brushes. If you happen to have any links with a diy on how to check/replace/adjust them I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
DIY extremist

drop links will cause that.... you can replace (parts) for ~$50. Make sure that the control arms are locked when you do it though, or you'll need alignment.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

I got the wheel off I can see the drop links. Is there anyway to test them to see if they are bad? Do I need to have both front wheels in the air?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
DIY extremist

pry bar, try to see if there's any play in the bushings. mine were totally loose.

rockauto stocks them pretty cheap with warranty, dealer will rob you on these (4x as much)
Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #7

Am I looking at the right thing? I've attached pics. Also am I doing the pry bar thing right? Also attached pics of that.

The way I did it there didnt seem to be much play in the bar. The thing its attached to on the bottom move a little bit though.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
DIY extremist

yeah, that's the drop link alright. try putting the prybar end between the link and stabilizer bar. if you can in way make the joint move in or out, it's bad. if it's original with any miles, I'd say it's probably bad regardless. one side of mine had like a 1/2 inch of play and made a nasty knocking sound on bumps.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Drop links make more of a rattly noise than a clunky noise. Are we talking noise from front or rear?

Incidentally, clunks from the shocks would be very low down my list of possible candidates.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Drop links make more of a rattly noise than a clunky noise. Are we talking noise from front or rear?

Incidentally, clunks from the shocks would be very low down my list of possible candidates.
Depends on the circumstances ....
Mine do both
Are you including mounts when you say shocks are low on the list ?
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Are you including mounts when you say shocks are low on the list ?
Np. They're mounts, not shocks!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

How about this tomorrow I'll make a video tomorrow of me fiddling about with the drop links and then another one while driving that shows the noise.

I swear I hear noises from everywhere lol. Front and back I think.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Okay guys I had an old video which I had sent to someone that includes the clunk noise.

Ignore the last part what I'm saying is "No funny noises coming from the engine" but right before I say that if you can hear the clunks that's what the car makes. Also it's not just a NOISE but you can feel the car go clunk clunk clunk. I don't know how to explain it but I can also feel it in the steering wheel when I drive.

Boxster Clunk - YouTube
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
A worn drop link is usually visibly offset and yours look ok so far. If you get your car up on a lift, start poking around and testing suspension components like struts, A-arms, and see if you can locate the rattle problem.

Replacing original struts with used 40k struts is probably not the best plan. They are probably pretty far gone at 40k.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
petrol head

Garage
Had a similar problem on my Box, "clunking" sound when driving over speed humps or rough roads.
It seemed to get worse as the weather warmed up, with this in mind i began to wonder if the bushes were simply "Drying" out, so i tried a quick fix before stripping any suspension parts.
Quick fix was to warm up some bearing grease, fill syringe and "inject" the grease into any and all moving parts with a rubber shield, ie ball joints etc.
This cured all noise and has been quite ever since.
Carried out this procedure about 18 mths ago, still quite, Box just passed MOT (uk's government obligatory road worthy test) with absolutely no problems.
Must be worth a go as it cost's nothing and in my case cured what was a really annoying, no to mention embarrassing, noisy ride .

2001 boxster
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #16

I shall try that, hopefully it solves my issues. Just gotta find a syringe now lol
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #17

Well I purchased the grease and a syringe to apply it with. If you guys don't mind do you think you could give me a little check list of things to grease up? That way I'll make sure I get it all.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #18

Sorry I keep post spamming guys but what do you think of this? I went and moved the rotor up and down and I can hear some sort of noise and also feel something. When I touch the drop link bar I can FEEL something going on. Now, I don't know if its referred vibrations from the drop link itself or if they are coming from somewhere else but I can also feel them in the drop links.

I'll be putting up a video if you guys would be so kind to check it out I would really appreciate it!

EDIT: What if I disconnect the drop links and drive the car? Is this safe? If the sound goes away the drop link would be bad right? I already pulled the drop link anyway. Is there a way to test it when its out of the car?

Last edited by abuzar1; 09-01-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #19

I think I have the same damn rattle noise. I'd like to fix it, and hope replacing drop links is a DIY thing. My noise comes from the right rear side. I may pull off the wheel and start prying around for looseness. Chris

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

It's pretty easy, I'll post up a video when I get mine in as a tutorial.