Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

02 S misfire

So yesterday on the way back to the office from the bank I feel a seat of the pants vibration. I can tell the engine is starting to miss. a few seconds later I get the expected flashing CEL which then goes solid. I also know that I am very low on gas and think maybe its lower than I thought and miss is due to the car being practically out of gas. I'm a mile from the office and swing into a gas station and put 5 gals in it (planned on topping off at Costco later). I start the car and the CEL is gone. It seems to run normally for about a minute and then the miss is back intermittently. I coast into my office parking lot and leave the car...until today. I hooked up the durametric and got the following:

P0300
Porsche fault code 62 - Misfire damaging to cat. converter
P0305
Porsche fault code 67 - Cylinder 5 misfire damaging to cat. converter
P0303
Porsche fault code 65 - Cylinder 3 misfire damaging to cat. converter

This does not tell me a lot of new info... I mean, I know that it's missing, and I know raw fuel from a missing engine can quickly destroy the Cats.

It's nice to know which cyl are missing, but I expected a great deal more from the software... a cheap Chinese OBDII could have told me the same thing for a lot less than $250...

Anyone have any ideas? I bought some coils just in case, but I do not want to just throwing parts at it...

Anyone?

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
It sounds like you may have run the gas low enough to starve the motor and that causes the DME to get sketchy. Top your gas tank, disconnect your battery for a hard reset to clear all errors and trims, and drive the car. If it trips a CEL again, dig deeper.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

Thanks topless,

I did reset the DME and it had an odd effect. It confined the miss to acceleration only and 1000 to 2000 RPM. I picked up 2 new OEM Beru coils from CarQuest yesterday just in case. After replacing the coils on the misfiring cylinders, all is well. One of the old coils had a torn insulator that was also split down the side. Either way 30 mins worth of work took care of it...

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote