Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Turbo or charger?

Hi recently been on utube and seen a couple of boxsters with twin turbos And superchargers was thinking of maybe doing this myself but gabby got the faintest idea about where to start or who to see to do it also would it be safe in my 98 model has anyone had it done and where and more important the cost of it all would also like to hear what kind of performance it gives too I'm in the uk cheers bob

Bobitupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

no supercharger kits currently on the market (perhaps some used ones floating around, but ask yourself why they are not getting made anymore ...). two companies doing turbo kits - tpc racing and turbowerx. i think the tpc kit is only for the 3.2L 'S' engine. turbowerx has a 2.5L twin turbo kit, but you have to remove the rear lower suspension brace to fit the intercooler.

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-28-2011 at 10:02 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks for that I'll check them out and removing that what affect would it have on me motor ?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

your motor would be fine, your back wheels would flop around a bit.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Been on both websites and they just seem to be for the s model not 2.5 also both stateside is there anywhere in uk ?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
pk2

THe supers (TPC) are not being made for a 2.5 because there are not enough 12 yr old, 2,5 Boxsters left around to make it profitible. They are apparently still made for the later boxsters and Caymans.

The turbos can probably pack some more punch because they are smaller and can be tucked away easier with larger capacity. The supercharger is larger and limited in output because it can only be so big and still fit in very limited space, and there is only one real place it can go.

I don’t know about the durability of the turbo chargers but the superchargers are quite reliable. They are the same ones used as OEM equipment in the little Mercedes “Kompressor”, some ‘80s Buicks, among others. It is made by the most established supercharger company around (forget who) and is good for about 100K before it needs a $35 rebuild kit installed. Turbos, probably less life and more expensive to repair.

The downside to the super is it is a royal bit_h they are to install in the box. The turbo may be easier. Neither will pass any stringent smog inspection that I know of without some payola.

PK
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
pk2

THe supers (TPC) are not being made for a 2.5 because there are not enough 12 yr old, 2,5 Boxsters left around to make it profitible. They are apparently still made for the later boxsters and Caymans.

The turbos can probably pack some more punch because they are smaller and can be tucked away easier with larger capacity. The supercharger is larger and limited in output because it can only be so big and still fit in very limited space, and there is only one real place it can go.

I don’t know about the durability of the turbo chargers but the superchargers are quite reliable. They are the same ones used as OEM equipment in the little Mercedes “Kompressor”, some ‘80s Buicks, among others. It is made by the most established supercharger company around (forget who) and is good for about 100K before it needs a $35 rebuild kit installed. Turbos, probably less life and more expensive to repair.

The downside to the super is it is a royal bit_h to install in the box. The turbo may be easier. Neither will pass any stringent smog inspection that I know of without some payola.

PK
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

Those who know the internals of the 2.5 engines

don't recommend adding boost without almost completely redoing the engine with stronger parts.

If you do decide to do it, also add the third radiator from the S model and the larger water/oil heat exchanger.

Good luck getting it tuned.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/itisn'tfastenough
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
pk2

Actually Mike,

logic would say add another radiator. However in my experience the overall temp is still well within the same range as stock. Where you could expect excessive, if not fatal heat, is in the combustion chamber exclusively. An extra, indirect radiator won't really help there.

I have EGT (exhaust gas temperature)sensors, the best indicator of cylinder temps. Mine is well within normal operating temps with the recommended 4-5lbs boost. Were I to up the boost, inter-cooling, probably liquid would, more than offset added heat of the super charged, compressed "charge"by calculation (automatically with the proper controller setup).

As to beefed up bottom end and the like, It does sound desirable but I suspect the cost would be about the same as a good 3.6l. I say blow up the 2.5 if it going to (I doubt it) and then replace the rubble with a 3.6l…a push.

Regards, pk
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #10

turbowerks do make a 2.5 kit; you have to dig a bit at their site.

if you want a euro vendor, ttp make a twin turbo kit, but i shudder at what the cost might be.

re superchargers, imagine auto, vf engineering and tpc all made kits for the boxster, but all stopped (including tpc, unless it's not on their website).
Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
pk2

THey all ran about 12k installed when they were fresh and quite the thing. There were no more faster Box's around... pushing 300hp +/-. Now you can have one doing the same rt off the shelf.

At $2.5k for a used setup, if your very handy & have more time than money, not such a bad route to go. 'elluva lot a fun.

PK
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #12

i'm a big fan of supercharging as well - instant power w/ no lag. not a big fan of how they did engine mgmt in most of those kits, however - 7th injector and piggyback computer - can't help but think there's too much room for error in something like that and, combined with a weak engine (as opposed to say the same application on a 964/993) perhaps one of the reasons why supercharger kits have a bad rap for failures - a few too many lean conditions in a weak engine resulting in holed pistons.

most of the turbo kits have gone to larger injectors and custom tunes of the existing computer, so should run safer (within the bounds of the relatively limited timing adjustment allowed by the computer, and the lean conditions caused by the lack of diverter in most cases) but i think the turbo kit makers still struggle with the bad rap FI of these engines was given in the early years by the supercharger kits.

having said that, if you have a source for a used superchager kit for $2,500 - lemme know - imagine a twin-charged boxster!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobitupa
Hi recently been on utube and seen a couple of boxsters with twin turbos And superchargers was thinking of maybe doing this myself but gabby got the faintest idea about where to start or who to see to do it also would it be safe in my 98 model has anyone had it done and where and more important the cost of it all would also like to hear what kind of performance it gives too I'm in the uk cheers bob
Please learn to use punctuation.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
your motor would be fine, your back wheels would flop around a bit.
Considering how many of these things blow up just fine by themselves, I would strongly disagree with the statement that adding forced induction will be "fine."

I wouldn't remotely consider adding boost to one of these things unless the motor had been built for it. I briefly considered building my 3.8 with low compression pistons and turbocharging it, but when the thing makes 400HP normally aspirated, who needs any more than that in a 3000lb car on the street?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #15

if you read the post in context, the statement "your motor would be fine" was a reference to removing the brace. i was just trying to respond to the Op and keep opinion on FI vs the M96 out of the dialogue.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
pk2

Hello,

Not exactly sure where this thread is going,
But;

You want some fast bang for your buck, put a super or turbo on your 2.5, upgrade the piggyback for a bout $600 , integrate a relatively simple meth/h20 (WC) setup and have fun. If it fails, it would be the first I’ve ever heard of in 8 odd years here but...

I’f it blows (like all your referenced invisible friends have had happened) your out $4k (less $2k in salvagable parts) . Who cares if your going to spend 20k on a twin super 3.8.

If you can do that for less(3.8)…dead serious…leme’ know. People like yourselves convince me I need to start building a real backup…but damn, for years mine just won’t blow

PK

P.S. did you know a 3.6/3.8 is based on the same crappy motor as the 2.5? It is NOT the bulletproof as the GT derivatives? Don't think you'll have 400 hp with the same durability as any GT
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #17

Garage
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-3-8-Carrera-S-997-Engine-14980-Miles-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aaaab42e7QQitemZ32069 0930407QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

not a bad price...
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #18

Nitrous!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone do it and video tape it. Do a 150 shot
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #19

Garage
Nitrous

I work at a outfit im not even going to plug, I just want to lay out some good Boxster info, first of all the C/R on even a 2.5 201hp motor is 11.51 and S motors run 12.5.1!!! way too high for a supercharger or turbo if you ask me, Porsche turbo motors come with 8.1 To 9.1 C/R the boxsters we have seen with turbos are running like only 5lbs a total waste of 5 to 10 grand after you have to get it retuned a bunch of times to get it right, However on the other hand nitrous loves higher compression ratios, has a cooling effect , look I have a lot of bottles through my boxster, I'm running now 75hp no issues and that's a 140k 2.5l updated LN IMS otherwise stock, nitrous is not Just for a 1/4 mile, I have used it in a road corse makes passing fun and you will use it! My car has been a test mule and so is my bosses 996 he is running 125hp on it and over hundred bottles run through it, nitrous my not be for everyone, but don't be scared of it, a lot of drama kings here, if you keep things safe, a true easy bolt on at least 75hp on any Porsche more if you want it, costs less than 700, one I have on my car I think costs like 600 something, it's fun for sure! Unlike most other bolt ons this one will make the power I says it will! No fuff no BS,

Last edited by Boosted boxster; 09-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Boosted boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #20

Garage
Nitrous

Oh yea, ZERO tuning, no MIL light, not one issue with ether Porsche, the 996 has a lot of nitrous and will kick the ever-livn crap out of a z06, went to lunch with the boss we ran across a z06 the 996 killed it, I thought he might beat us, nope we smoked him by 3 cars no joke, supercharges take power and make power, produce a lot of heat,

Boosted boxster is offline   Reply With Quote