Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
Carnut

Hard to find the right car! All candidates are old and high miles, generally speaking. I looked for a Boxster for a very long time, all the cars locally had issues, all of them! Finally got a CPO from the dealership, paid a bit more than "market" but it was the right decision. No issues and for 2 years they fixed everything, no questions asked, that alone more than made up for the initial higher price.

Above is just an example on how another approach might look like.

If the engine checks out and the rest of the car looks fixable and you have fun wrenching I'd say go for it!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #22

if it seems too good to be true.
imsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Run Forest Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If not, we will hear your tales of woe soon enough..........

When you ask for advice expect to hear some from both sides, including the one you didn't want to hear from.
I was looking for more advice on the thoughts of the mechanics of the car being at 140,000 miles with a rebuilt motor. Not if I was making an emotional decision.
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
Hmmmmm, even if the engine is rebuilt at 140k miles there's not much life left in it...
Can you expand? If the engine was rebuilt properly it should have a whole new life. Correct?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
One more thing: if I look at the "cars for sale" section on this forum I see several Boxsters in your price range....
This is true. There are plenty of cars to START with in my range. But upon further inspection and PPI's I am finding these 14-18K cars need a few grand to really be "right" pushing the total investment into the low 20's
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
This car sounds like a great candidate for track/autocross and heavy modifications. You've got a good budget and great shop resources. Are you planning to spend your budget on upgrades, or is it there just in case? If you are not happy with a stock car, this sounds like the one for you...if you feel mere mortals have no business messing with Porsche's product, find a nicer car.
Budget is there just in case. No real desire to highly modify the car. Most upgrades would be slight cosmetic changes. Like clear tails and headlights, maybe a new set of wheels, things like that.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #27

New information discussed with owner: ALLEDGEDLY

Bought from 2nd owner with blown engine. 2nd owner couldn't afford to repair or replace engine. Current owners brother has been a Porsche mechanic for 30 years and he is the one who did the engine rebuild. When the engine was rebuilt, they put in the LN bearing as well as new clutch. They have invoices and receipts for all work done. Engine rebuild was done 3 months ago. Reason for selling is he needs money.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Rennzenn

Garage
Sounds like the engine is in order...if the receipts chek out. How's the suspension and transmission? 2nd gear pop-out tends to be a 6sp issue, rebuild = 4-5K. Struts, control arms, etc could also be wearing.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Sounds like the engine is in order...if the receipts chek out. How's the suspension and transmission? 2nd gear pop-out tends to be a 6sp issue, rebuild = 4-5K. Struts, control arms, etc could also be wearing.
Yes. All things to consider. I'll have to get under the car and pull on some tie rods and see how things are looking as well as feel during the test drive.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #30

Garage
Sounds like you have the budget, mechanical help/ability and facilities to make a go of a project. Make the guy an offer, get an independent PPI with some emphasis on the engine rebuild. If it checks out, I say go for it! I spent about 4 months searching the country for mine before finding the right one. I don't have the space and abilities you have though so I wanted a well sorted vehicle and found it. A year later, no surprises. Good luck with your decision
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #31

I'd say walk. With 18k, you could buy a 3.4 986
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #32

so you clearly want the car- ok, now get a PPI. Even if that turns out well, I still think it'll nickel and dime you till you're sick of it. Do you want a 'project' or something you drive- these cars are not 'durable'- they're high maintenance. If you read between the lines of what people are saying here I'd say most wish they bought newer- me being one of them. Why is this thing so cheap? What was the $10 000 for if his brother did the job? I know that 'tired of looking feeling' but it's a sign that you're on the right track to a sound purchase instead of a gamble like most used-car purchases. Either way, good luck!
Ps. I'd say wait til next summer and get an '09
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
so you clearly want the car- ok, now get a PPI. Even if that turns out well, I still think it'll nickel and dime you till you're sick of it. Do you want a 'project' or something you drive- these cars are not 'durable'- they're high maintenance. If you read between the lines of what people are saying here I'd say most wish they bought newer- me being one of them. Why is this thing so cheap? What was the $10 000 for if his brother did the job? I know that 'tired of looking feeling' but it's a sign that you're on the right track to a sound purchase instead of a gamble like most used-car purchases. Either way, good luck!
Ps. I'd say wait til next summer and get an '09
Well my thought behind the whole thing is this guy probably bought the car for like 2 or 3k, had his brother do an engine rebuild that cost him 4k in parts and now is trying to flip it. Where I think he is saying its a 10k rebuild is if you don't have any connections and you were to sublet it out to a shop or dealer it would be a 10k rebuild. He probably came no where close to paying out 10k.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #34

is it just me or is it getting murkier around this one? Why not a PPI?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
I was looking for more advice on the thoughts of the mechanics of the car being at 140,000 miles with a rebuilt motor. Not if I was making an emotional decision.

And no one can answer your initial question / post accurately from a keyboard. My 2 cents:

-If you are enamored with this particular car for whatever reason, get a PPI with a leakdown test to verify health of motor
-The car has 140k on it, MUCH more than just the motor will be needing attention (the major one you did not list as being dealt with; suspension)
-As others have stated, there is likely a reason it is priced at $8k
-If you have $18k to spend, buy something newer / lower miles and do the IMS retrofit, regardless of what you've turned up thus far, they are out there. I am not even looking and seen quite a few that fall into your parameters

Good Luck.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #36

Not sure what all the doom and gloom is about.

If the motor was rebuilt properly by a good shop, then it's a steal. It's really only engine failure you need to be scared of. Other things can go wrong, but you can control the cost of most other problems.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Not sure what all the doom and gloom is about.

If the motor was rebuilt properly by a good shop, then it's a steal. It's really only engine failure you need to be scared of. Other things can go wrong, but you can control the cost of most other problems.
I agree, that's why I said earlier if he is up for a project, which it sounds like he is, then it is a great deal for him. He can get parts cheaper, and he has the facilities to work on it. His budget is $18k but I have a feeling he is hoping to come in way less, which I don't doubt he will. Sure, suspensions are $$$ but not $10K. Oh, and it has the LN bearing and a new clutch. Just my .02.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #38

I'm new here and new to Boxsters, my Pcars only pump oil. After reading about the issues these cars have (bearing, electrical, etc....) and given they are a dime a dozen model (unlike earlier air cooled models), I say buy it. Why not. Sounds like you have connections, the motor (the big expense) has been handled already and you have a budget capable of allowing for future issues. Sounds like a win win to me.......

I just bought a project myself. PO said motor has to be replaced, but reading the computer says the cam position sensor needs replacement. Working on doing that this week. Hoping to have bought the steal of a century.

GL if you buy it, I'm sure it'll be fine.
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #39

Garage
I'd buy the black 2001 Boxster 'S' from the guy in Rockville...
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #40
jakesbox

If you want a project, go get a roller with much less mileage and put together a monster motor with the left over cash!

If it were me, I take the majority of the advice (if you are not just looking for a project car), get the best you can get, latest model you can get for the money. that 8 grand can quickly turn into 16 grand. start with something a little lower mileage...

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote