Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #1

Exclamation 1998 boxster 2.5l Stalling and start problems!

Hello my forum colleagues,

I have a problem with my boxster for 2 years which I need help troubleshooting and eventually repairing.

Cold starts ok and idles fine and drives well.

As soon as it gets warm say after 20min driving, the car will start to idle hunt then it will sometimes stall and turn off as if it would not receive enough fuel to keep the car running always on ramps and steep hills.

Usually when I park the car and return after shopping or gym I turn on the egnition to turn over engine then it would seems as it would flood itself and won't start,
Till I pump the fuel pedal then eventually it does turn on.

Just recently 1 day before this post I tried to start the car and for the first time it backfired! that loud that the people in the car parked in front of me dropped to the floor as they were putting shopping in the boot of their car, thinking someone was letting off a round from their semi automatic firearm. Me too!

Over the years I have read a few forums and repaired or replaced the following so you can exempt these,

New MAF sensor

Cleaned Idol Control Valve

Cleaned Throttle Body

New spark plugs

Air filters etc

Oil services (replaced)filters

Same premium unleaded

Note:

My mechanic says it does not throw any codes when he hooks up his handy looking unit monitor!

If anyone could please give me a resalution to this problem before I go spend $3500 on changing the fuel pump and relay which my mechanic might think the problem is.

Would be great

Thank you guys any help would be appreciated.

Ok_letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #2

Garage
did you checked for vacuum leaks??
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #3

Hi,golonaus

My mechanic has looked over the car sensors and hoses!
He could of missed something.

Is there anything I can do or check

I am hands on,to the extent of replacing my drivers side window regulator myself I just can't get underneath the car to do work.

Just thought someone else had the same problem and resolved it.
Thanks for your reply
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
soucorp

Garage
I just found out that a normal OBD=II scanner will not pick up certain Porsche codes, you will need a Durametric diagnostic tool for Porsches. http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx Either take it to a Porsche shop that has one or you can buy a PC laptop kit with cable for ~$300 or so. I use to have one for my 997 to clear codes and stuff but sold it. Really nice tool only for Porsche. I would not let a mechanic start replacing everything and running a ~$3k bill by trial and error, it gets expensive and you're still not sure if it fixed your problem.

See this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46423-my-car-stalling.html

Last edited by soucorp; 06-17-2013 at 07:44 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Mileage? 5spd or tip? No CEL?

Several things could be causing this. One possibility is leaky injectors. With no CEL I would disconnect the battery for one minute to reset the DME and drive the car. If your current mechanic has limited diagnosis tools, find one with better tools and experience. Make sure your CEL lights up before you start the car, ign on, so you know it's not just a dead bulb. You should be getting error codes if the car stumbles and stalls.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Coil pack? Lots of folks think a car won't start if they're faulty, I can attest to the fact that they can and will.... Symptoms similar to mine...
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Coil pack? Lots of folks think a car won't start if they're faulty, I can attest to the fact that they can and will.... Symptoms similar to mine...
True, a bad coil pack or ignition module can cause the car not to run right, causes back fire, misfiring, and engine stall. But that would show up on a OBD-II scanner you would think on a modern vehicle? Check for spark with a timing light gun by hooking it to a plug wire if you can get the engine to run. Go from one bank 1-3 to the other side bank 4-6 cylinders and check if they all have spark. If they skip a cylinder, you can swap the coils/module and see if the problem jumped to the other bank. This technique works on older cars that don't have modern OBD-II but will also work on modern cars if you don't have a scanner to help with diagnosis.

Last edited by soucorp; 06-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

I'd say coli packs and MAF are the most common reason for what you're experiencing, being cheaper.... I'd have changed them before you did your MAF too... sorry! but... at least thats off the list now....

Coil packs are a relatively cheap repair and easily done by yourself.... I think you'll get a result if you swop' em out man!

Good luck!
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #9

Hello people,

Today I dropped off the boxster at the porsche service centre in south sydney.

I took into consideration all that you guys have posted by reply which I have to thank you guys for,

I told the porsche guys to diagnose the the car and told them what I thought the problem was so at $265 a hour I hope they find the real issue..

I was going to change over the coil packs but too difficult for me don't have the tools or time right now but appreciate the input.

Keep you guys updated with the resolution...

Thank you
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

What did the problem end up being?

Had a similar experience yesterday... Let it sit for a while and eventually it started again. Happened twice. What'd your problem end up being?

tobkin is offline   Reply With Quote